The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

This past week two high school boys died in an automobile accident down her in SoCal. One of them played on the basketball team at a school in the community in which I live. I have been approached with regards to brainstorm as to how the basketball community can help raise some funds for the boy's family. We were thinking of either a tournament where the officials donate their time and all gate and concession receipts to to the family and some kind of skills competition with the participants entry fees being donated. Anyone been involved in such an endeavor or have any ideas?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

How about a game played by 2 teams of officials and officiated by 2 rival coaches? I would pay good money to see the howler monkeys with the tables turned. I think it would be a riot.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
This effort sounds like a great idea. You may want to check with your state association regarding the number of games being played by students, or donations and money that are being given.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

At this time of year it is hard for players and refs to find a free night. Waiting until the end of season may not be soon enough. Why not talk to the schools and see if they can find an opponent who is willing to donate all game receipts for a night? Let the public and press know that all funds (tickets, concessions, official fees, security, etc) will be donated to the family.

Next season, try to have a memorial tournament.