The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Question

Boys varisty game.

Team A Coach is the former coach of Team B. Team A is playing at Team B's school. Team A is a private, all boys school and Team B is a public school. During the third quarter, the fans (students) from Team B begin to chant "Homosexuals....Homosexuals..." Is this enough cause to stop the game and have the game management person talk with the fans and have them stop the inappropiate comments. If they continue, do you A) Give a "T" to Team B for not controlling their fans or B) Send both teams to the locker room and have the stands cleared?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Yes to all of the above.
Very inflamatory stuff.......If the fans don't stop. I'll clear the gym!

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Boy, hard to believe they would be that crude even in this day and age! I agree: give 'em a chance to knock it off, or clear the gym. No place for that in sports (or anywhere else)! I don't think, though, that I would call a "T" in this situation, any more than I would if an individual fan was being belligerent.

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited February 03, 2000).]
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ref39 on 02-03-2000 12:38 PM
Boys varisty game.

Team A Coach is the former coach of Team B. Team A is playing at Team B's school. Team A is a private, all boys school and Team B is a public school. During the third quarter, the fans (students) from Team B begin to chant "Homosexuals....Homosexuals..." Is this enough cause to stop the game and have the game management person talk with the fans and have them stop the inappropiate comments. If they continue, do you A) Give a "T" to Team B for not controlling their fans or B) Send both teams to the locker room and have the stands cleared?

I think you say something to the A.D. and have him/her address it over the public address system, that is why they are there. Additionally, you would inform the A.D. that if they are not willing or are unable to correct the problem then you have the authority and power to administer things like the technical foul up to the forfeiture of the game, whatever it takes to get the situation under control.

Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Wonder how long it would take the Rev. Jesse Jackson and the Rainbow Coalition to get involved in this one?

Wonder if some of the 'gay rights activists' would consider this as some type of restriction of free speech?

Interesting post .....
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

As far as I am concerned, I would first tell the Ad that this either stops now, or I am clearing the gym of everybody but the teams and the coaches. There is no room for this in High School ball. If the P.A. guy gets on the mike and says this, I bet it will stop, and if not then the gym gets quiet. I am just hoping that I get the REMATCH of this game. Being that it is in my area. BY THE WAY HI CARL.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Wonder if some of the 'gay rights activists' would consider this as some type of restriction of free speech?

I highly doubt that the crowd chanting of "Homosexuals....Homosexuals..." was holding a pro-gay rights rally right there in the middle of the game.

As far as the ACLU goes (the largest proponent of free speech in America...heck, they even supported the rights of Nazi's to march in Skokie, IL back in the '70s), even they support restricting threatening or harassing speech.

I agree with the others who would tell the game administrator to get them to knock it off. If they don't, then clear the spectators from the gym. I would not give a T in this instance since that would not only make the crowd more abusive, but it'd unjustly penalize the kids on Team A for their bigoted fans.

Letting this behavior to continue is basically asking a violent outburst to happen when a Team A member or supporter takes being called a homosexual as an insult and responds with his fists.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Here is an interesting twist, in school we would always chant "we have a rope we have a tree, all we need is a referee!" Would you take this as a threat to your personal safety and stop the game? I am going to go against the crowd here and say that if you are going to clear the gym for something like that then it is extreme. You also may be looking for trouble by trying to make the entire gym stop chanting. Guess who is going to be at the point of the next chant? From my experience this type of thing starts and dies very quickly, you may be best off to ignore it and let it go away. Maybe in our efforts to be politically correct we would be antagonizing a situation.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that clearing the gym would be quite extreme. That measure should only be taken as a last resort. If the chant continued at any length, I WOULD speak to the game management (AD?) about it. After an announcement or some kind of appropriate action, I would be REAL surprised if it continued and ultimately had to result in a gym clearing. And no, I would not take the "referee chant" as a personal threat. I might even smile the first time I heard it--after all, it's just another comment like many others we hear from the stands. Now, if it persisted . . . hmmmm.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

The following are statements in most state's athletic by-laws with regard to ATHLETIC COURTESY:

Remember that a student spectator represents his school the same as does the athlete.

Any spectator who continually evidences poor spportsmanship should be requested not to attend future contests.

Booing, taunting or intimidating the officials, coaches, players or opponents is unfriendly and unacceptable.

The principal should encourage the school's support of its teams, BUT NEVER AT THE EXPENSE OF FRIENDLY RELATIONS.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Here is an interesting twist, in school we would always chant "we have a rope we have a tree, all we need is a referee!" Would you take this as a threat to your personal safety and stop the game?

No, hopefully either it'd peter out quickly or game management will take care of it without our beckoning.

You also may be looking for trouble by trying to make the entire gym stop chanting. Guess who is going to be at the point of the next chant?

Personally, i don't care if the fans call me a homosexual. Volunteer work that i do every weekend places me in a position where people accuse me of being a homosexual (or sometimes a lesbian(?)) all the time. Quite frankly, i don't find it any more insulting than if people started accusing me of being a brunette.

From my experience this type of thing starts and dies very quickly, you may be best off to ignore it and let it go away. Maybe in our efforts to be politically correct we would be antagonizing a situation.

The problem is that a homophobic Team A member or supporter might take great offense to that chanting and quickly lash out in a violent manner. Stopping the chanting wouldn't be an effort to be PC...it'd be an effort to circumvent anyone getting hurt.