The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wher in the rule book? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3772-wher-rule-book.html)

tschriver Thu Jan 17, 2002 09:53am

Can someone please tell where in the NFHS basketball rule book it says that the penalty for an intentional foul is two shots.

I know the award of possession after the free throws is addressed in Rule 7-Section 4, Article 2 and Rule 8-section 5, Article 3.

I am aware of the Summary of Penalties section. However, I would like the rule, section and article that gives us the instruction to award two free throws for an intentional foul.

[Edited by tschriver on Jan 17th, 2002 at 09:08 AM]

DanIvey Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:02am

I'm at work and my current rule books are in my bag at home...but, I have last year's case book here.

Intentional Foul
4.19.3A
PLAY: B1 is charged with an intentional foul on A1 who is in the act of shooting: (a) a successful two-point or three-point try;
RULING: A1 is awarded two free throws

Dan

Danvrapp Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:11am

Page 65 of the rule book, <i>Summary of Penalties for All Fouls</i><br><br><b>4. Two free throws if intentional or flagrant, plus ball for throw in.</b>

tschriver Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:11am

Hey Dan, thanks for your response. I would still like to get the reference in the rule book (not the Summary of Penalties) if anyone knows the exact rule, section article.

[Edited by tschriver on Jan 17th, 2002 at 09:13 AM]

BktBallRef Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:22am

There are no rule book references for how many FTs to shoot except in the Summary of Penalties. That's why it was written, because the info is not anywhere else. Why the need?

Mark Dexter Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:24am

The summary is the rule. You won't find "you get two shots plus ball for an intentional foul" in the rulebook.

Danvrapp Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:27am

I don't think there is a rule, per se. Look at the definition of a foul--no where is it mentioned you get X shots depending on whether the ball goes in. Likewise for technical and intentional fouls--the only place it specifies how many shots is in the summaries for fouls.

Brian Watson Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:06am

Sounds like an enterprising coach cracked the rule book and could not find it...

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 17, 2002 01:17pm

Remember the penalty for an intentional foul on a missed 3-pointer is 3 shots plus the ball.

And, before anyone else asks, yes, the 2-shot penalty applies on a successful 2 or 3 point basket.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 17, 2002 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Remember the penalty for an intentional foul on a missed 3-pointer is 3 shots plus the ball.

And, before anyone else asks, yes, the 2-shot penalty applies on a successful 2 or 3 point basket.

Good point,Mark.Irregardless of the above posts,that is certainly not irrelevant!

ChuckElias Thu Jan 17, 2002 02:20pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Irregardless of the above posts,that is certainly not irrelevant!
Jeez, JR, you're in some kind of mood this afternoon :D

Chuck

mick Thu Jan 17, 2002 02:27pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Irregardless of the above posts,that is certainly not irrelevant!

Chuck
Good call, Chuck.
Sounds like one of my senior moments.
mick

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 17, 2002 02:48pm

[/B][/QUOTE]

Chuck [/B][/QUOTE]

Good call, Chuck.
Sounds like one of my senior moments.
mick [/B][/QUOTE]I knew it was gonna be one of those days when the following thought crossed my mind after reading mick's quote---"if you're a senior,do you consider Viagara an upper?"

Talkinhoopsy'all Thu Jan 17, 2002 04:08pm

Mr. Tschriver- try looking in the case book 4.19.3 they give some pretty good examples of intentional foul situations and they even give you the penalty.

By the way... didn't you know that the NFHS rules books(s)were written by retired lawyers and officials who make it almost impossible to find what you want in one place

Keep hoopin y'all!!!!

Oz Referee Thu Jan 17, 2002 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Why do you still get 2 shots on a successful basket? This is different to FIBA (oh my what a suprise - NFHS and FIBA disagree:)) where only one shot is awarded if the basket is good.