The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Aha. You're simply looking for advice for the constitution that is being written, right?

1st, NEVER, EVER, EVER give the president the authority to suspend a member of the executive board!!! Let me repeat that. NEVER, EVER, EVER give the president the authority to suspend a member of the executive board!!! If you were to allow something like this to happen, it would be a grevious offense against the spirit of the rules of parliamentary procedure.

2nd, with the suspending a member; I'd be careful here, too. There can be many reasons for missing an assignment (some good, some bad), but I don't think suspension is the proper punishment in either case.

If you decide, however, to give the president the authority to suspend a member, I would recommend the following three provisions:
(1) It can only be for certain offenses (list these in the constitution - i.e., accepting a bribe, putting the association in an extremely bad light, etc. - whatever you feel is bad enough).
(2) The president's suspension only lasts a certain time period. Probably 48-72 hours during the season, up to a full week in the off season.
(3) Have a separate hearing board (3-5 people) made up (which does not include any members of the executive) to hear the charges against the member. Their decision should be final regarding the member's status (unless something new comes up).

You might want to run your constitution/by-laws through a lawyer before ratifying them, just to make sure they comply with local laws.

And, BTW, I have a bit of experience with by-laws, constitutions, and rules of order, so feel free to e-mail me with any more questions. (I do live in DC - it shouldn't be hard to find a politico if I don't know the answer )!!
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

He must have deleted it. I replied to it but it's no longer here.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 11:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It was deleted?

Mark, anyone that creates a post can delete it on their own. I think that is what happen. Probably felt that the reponses were not good, and deleted it him or herself.

You are not alone, it is gone on my server too.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Sorry guys that was my fault. It was late last night and I accidently deleted the thread instead of editing the thread. I am therefore still looking for advice on this situation. Thanks.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Re: It was deleted?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Mark, anyone that creates a post can delete it on their own. I think that is what happen. Probably felt that the reponses were not good, and deleted it him or herself.

You are not alone, it is gone on my server too.

Peace
Maybe it was deleted, but I had a problem a few weeks ago where I couldn't find the post, I posted a new topic reply, then the topic re-appeared. Thought that might have happened again.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Aha. You're simply looking for advice for the constitution that is being written, right?

1st, NEVER, EVER, EVER give the president the authority to suspend a member of the executive board!!! Let me repeat that. NEVER, EVER, EVER give the president the authority to suspend a member of the executive board!!! If you were to allow something like this to happen, it would be a grevious offense against the spirit of the rules of parliamentary procedure.

2nd, with the suspending a member; I'd be careful here, too. There can be many reasons for missing an assignment (some good, some bad), but I don't think suspension is the proper punishment in either case.

If you decide, however, to give the president the authority to suspend a member, I would recommend the following three provisions:
(1) It can only be for certain offenses (list these in the constitution - i.e., accepting a bribe, putting the association in an extremely bad light, etc. - whatever you feel is bad enough).
(2) The president's suspension only lasts a certain time period. Probably 48-72 hours during the season, up to a full week in the off season.
(3) Have a separate hearing board (3-5 people) made up (which does not include any members of the executive) to hear the charges against the member. Their decision should be final regarding the member's status (unless something new comes up).

You might want to run your constitution/by-laws through a lawyer before ratifying them, just to make sure they comply with local laws.

And, BTW, I have a bit of experience with by-laws, constitutions, and rules of order, so feel free to e-mail me with any more questions. (I do live in DC - it shouldn't be hard to find a politico if I don't know the answer )!!
Mark:

What association are you with? Do you only "score" or do you also officiate? I think this was covered to a certain extent in the "experience" thread, but I can't seem to find it. I am in the DC are (Cardinal Basketball Officials Association). We do primarily northern VA and the ISL schools.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Mark I need your email. I have a few questions.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Mark:

What association are you with? Do you only "score" or do you also officiate? I think this was covered to a certain extent in the "experience" thread, but I can't seem to find it. I am in the DC are (Cardinal Basketball Officials Association). We do primarily northern VA and the ISL schools.
I'm not with any association yet, other than the group of IM officials at college.

When I did clock/scorebook back home, I "worked" (read, volunteered) for my school, which used IAABO 8.

I'm hoping to get on the court next year in DC, either through IAABO 12 or the DCIAA. (Except for the lack of transportation, I would have done that this year.)
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Mark:

I'm not with any association yet, other than the group of IM officials at college.

When I did clock/scorebook back home, I "worked" (read, volunteered) for my school, which used IAABO 8.

I'm hoping to get on the court next year in DC, either through IAABO 12 or the DCIAA. (Except for the lack of transportation, I would have done that this year.)
Might I encourage you to also consider Cardinal Basketball Officials Association? We are always looking for "new blood" and judging by your posts, you really seem to know the rules. Check us out at http://www.cboa.org. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. You can email me at [email protected].