The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I like the 1st thread on talking to coaches during the game. I need to get better at it.

How about before and after the game? One partner I've had said he won't give his last name to the coaches. I feel I stand behind my game, no matter how bad I am, so I don't hesitate to introduce myself. (Like they couldn't find out who he was anyway...)

In a higher level game, I know I should get off the court quickly. In the lower levels, I would like to congratulate the kids and coaches on a good game. Perhaps this is inappropriate and I should still split as quickly as possible.

I'd be happy for input.

--bard
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Exclamation leave the floor asap

bard,

While you may have good intentions (wanting to congratulate the winners and tell the losers good effort), your sentiments will not always be appreciated by those involved in the game. Many times the participants are not able to "turn off" the emotional switch as soon as the game ends.

By you sticking around and making yourself accessable to players, coaches, and fans you are taking a chance to put yourself in a very uncomfortable and unfortunately, dangerous situation.

Get away from the court as soon as the game is over. If you want to talk to the participants after the game, find a time when everyone has recovered their "sanity" to do so.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 04:30pm
In Memoriam

Bard,IMHO the last thing that a coach wants to do before OR after a game is to strike up a meaningful relationship with an official.They usually have too much on their minds in both instances to worry about us(unless they think we screwed up).Be as quick as possible before the game and then get out of his hair.After the game,just get out.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

I have been a member of two quite different associations. In one, we were cordial and professional in our dealings with coaches, regardless of when it was (before game, during, etc.) A lower profile was the preferred choice.

In my second association, we wear jackets with our names (first and last) on them and I routinely witness our members seeking out coaches before and/or after games and engage them in lengthly, often animated conversations. I prefer the former. "Hi. How's it going?" "Good luck next game." "See ya." I try to be as professional as possible in my dealing with coaches at all times and strictly limit contact and conversation with them.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

First and last names on the jacket? Why not just add your home address and phone number for the hecklers convenience?
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Dont forget your e-mail address as well!!

We're told as soon as the horn sounds and there are no problems at the table, get the HE## out of there!! I found that to be very sound advise..
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Had a coach one night at one of those gyms that you drive three hours one way to get to and everyone dreads the ride. My partner was having a tough night and the coach starts in on me about him. Finally he said, what is that guy's name, I don't ever want him back here again. (In our association, coaches are given the option of scratching a couple of officials for the year.) Well, since I really didn't want to go back that way any time soon, I gave him my name, and sure enough, I haven't been back there in about three years.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Cool ROFL!

Hoosier--That is excellent!!!
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier
Had a coach one night at one of those gyms that you drive three hours one way to get to and everyone dreads the ride. My partner was having a tough night and the coach starts in on me about him. Finally he said, what is that guy's name, I don't ever want him back here again. (In our association, coaches are given the option of scratching a couple of officials for the year.) Well, since I really didn't want to go back that way any time soon, I gave him my name, and sure enough, I haven't been back there in about three years.

That's 3 smileys! Very funny!
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

One point on lower level games. Frequently these are back-to-back style games, there is no place for a ref to go between games, and being within the gym is probably better than steping outside alone and waiting for the next game. I think in part that it is this dynamic that leads to a comfort level with talking with coaches after a game - you are right there anyway. But I would agree that you shouldn't go seek the coaches out because that may be asking for trouble. I know when refs are in the gym between games in the MS leagues I am in, half the coaches will thank them for their time/effort.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Interesting you should point that out this morning, Hawks Coach. I had just such a game last night. Between games the home coach came over and thanked me for being there. (And I'd screwed up at the end of the 1st game allowing the visitors a time out after the ball had been given to home for a throw in. I did my apology to the coach before the time out was over...)
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Its best to walk off the court after the game, and all parties concerned would ask themselves "who were the officials?"
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Its best to walk off the court after the game, and all parties concerned would ask themselves "who were the officials?"
Yes, that is the policy, but (as Hawks Coach pointed out) sometimes refs have to stick around for the next game.

I generally work 3 games a night back-to-back-to-back. After a game, I will quickly approve the score and step into an auxillary hallway to get a drink, trying to give the teams some time to calm down. Unfortunately, the teams are usually still there when I go back into the gym (one of the reasons I use a black jacket before and after the games ).

That said, should I officiate any championship games, I'll pregame with my partner that if the game is close or heated, we get out of there at the end!
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
One point on lower level games. Frequently these are back-to-back style games, there is no place for a ref to go between games, and being within the gym is probably better than steping outside alone and waiting for the next game. I think in part that it is this dynamic that leads to a comfort level with talking with coaches after a game - you are right there anyway. But I would agree that you shouldn't go seek the coaches out because that may be asking for trouble. I know when refs are in the gym between games in the MS leagues I am in, half the coaches will thank them for their time/effort.
As rook working 3rd - 8th, we have a lot of dbl and triple headers. No where to "RUN" to between games. I usually go behind the scorers table and sit down for a few while people clear out. Sometimes a coach has a ques but most times I try not to draw attention. This has seemed to work well for me. Someday i'll have a locker room to run to!!

I usually dont wish anyone a good game unless they seek me out to do the same.

Larks - Vet in training

Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 11:32am
Do not give a damn!!

You should probably demand for something.

In the area I live, all the schools have separate locker rooms for officials. They might not be the best accomidations, but they work.

Maybe your association should try to convince or demand better accomidations. One day it will cause a problem and not having a locker room will be the cause.

You guys deserve better than that.

Peace