The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Question

Posted this on the other board as well because I want to make sure I get this right if it ever really happens.

Last night, 7th grade boys. Visiting team up by 5 with 10 seconds. H30 (using jersey numbers for a reason) attempts but misses a 3 and V35 fouls him in act of shooting. Kid nails all three free throws, so visitors now up by 2. Visitors inbound to V35 and H30 fouls him while trying to steal the pass, I blow my whistle then see V35 nail H30 with a right cross...TWEET, flagrant T on V35. Since we were not in the bonus we shoot the T. H30 is chosen by his coach and nails them both to tie the game and send it into OT. Visitors win by one on a last second shot at the end of the 3rd overtime. Immediately after the horn, V35 runs onto the court and tries to start a fight with H30. Luckily it was all jawing.

My questions are; If V35 had hit H30 again, would I have had to call another T and have someone from the home team shoot 2 shots. Second, do you look the other way while V coach is ringing V35's neck or do you help him because the kid committed two stupid fouls to send the game to 3 overtimes?

As an aside, I had to give the home coach kudos for his team. They played the entire game (and the OT periods) with only 5 players, and both teams ran all game. When we checked the book in the 4th quarter during a TO, I noticed no player on the home team had more the 3 fouls and trust me, we cut them no slack.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

If you were still in the visual confines of the gym, yes. I assume V35 was ejected, but on the bench. Since the throws would effect the outcome of the game you would shoot them. When you write him up for the first fight, I would mention the second action as well.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 12:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If he would have actually started a fight, you would have to ring him up. Otherwise, he will learn nothing. He's a student and needs to still learn what is and what is not acceptable behavior at sporting events. That applies to everything until he is on his way home.

Then it's his parents problem.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys

I knew I could count on y'all. Forgot to look it up last night, didn't want to forget about it again and go uneducated. It would have served the kid right if his team had lost the game. Strange thing is that this came from nowhere. Not a single hard foul all game.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Strange thing is that this came from nowhere. Not a single hard foul all game.
No, it didn't come from nowhere. Although his reasoning might be impaired, it somehow led him to think this was necessary. Maybe the guys are cousins, or used to be next-door neighbors, or were at bball camp together last year. It didn't come from nowhere.

The important part for us is, WE NEVER KNOW!! When we walk into a gym, we can't [ossibly be up to date on all the various friendships and enemyships that might exist between teammates, opponents and even parents and teachers.

Never let down your guard. Dead ball officiating is the most important part. When I was in the first-year class that our association requires for all beginners, I attended a game that our teacher was working --Varsity Boys. It was an intense game between arch-rivals. At one point, there was a scuffle, and a kid hit the deck, and then there was the usual refs-at-the-table and so on, and then the game went on. It was obvious that something big had happend, but I couldn't tell what. In class the next week, the teacher confessed that after 25 years of officiating, he still turned his back on the players as his partner reported a foul. One player took advantage of the momentary lapse in supervision and chopped an opponent right in the balls. The refs couldn't call anything, because they didn't see it!! This teacher, who has worked every tournament in our state and is one of the best refs anywhere ( and a real nice guy) was still losing sleep about it five days later. The kid who took it was out for the rest of the game. The kid who did it, played the rest of the game. He told us this story to show the importance of NEVER LET DOWN YOUR CONCENTRATION.

P.S. My kid is at pre-school right now, so I can type long responses without those annoying numbers in the middle!!
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

what happened to 'the game is over, get off the court'?