The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Question

In another thread, crew and Drake mention C2C, or Coast to Coast, which I think is a camp of some type. Can somebody explain what and where it is?

Chuck
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

What I know . . .

It's a rather prestigious, rather small camp which was co-founded by several big-time refs, including Ed Rush.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
In another thread, crew and Drake mention C2C, or Coast to Coast, which I think is a camp of some type. Can somebody explain what and where it is?

Chuck
chuck,
coast to coast is a camp that ed rush, bob delaney, darrel garretson(nba supervisor prior to rush) established about 10 yrs ago or so. i have attended this camp the past 2 summers and have had a great experience. it is run by nba refs, who want to teach new officials the proper way of officiating. whether your goal is to be in the nba, nc2a or to be the best high school ref there is. they cater to your specifications. for more info go to refereescool.com and check out the specs.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:50am
Whack! Get Out!!!

You can find out more about Coast to Coast in this article posted at Officiating.com. There are links to a photo gallery as well as interviews with former campers:

http://www.officiating.com/index.cgi...e=coasttocoast
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:54am
Whack! Get Out!!!

BTW, there is a great picture of Tony Horton (AKA Crew) in action on this page:

http://www.officiating.com/index.cgi...ttocoastphoto1

(2nd one from the top)
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Not to plug a camp, but the camp run by George Tolliver at James Madison University (VA), covers a lot of the same type of instruction. All instructors are NBA officials and they teach a lot of the NBA mechanics (even though they tell you that your state/association may do things differently). One of the instructors at C2C (Tony Brothers), instucted at both camps I attended. In addition, there are several college assignors there evaluating potential applicants. We went from 7 am to about 10:30 pm for 4 days. Had a minimum of 2 games per day and if you were not officiating, you were filming someone else, watching tapes of your previous games, or working on mechanics. The C2C camp sounds like it would be a good camp to attend. Tolliver's camp is not "by invitation only", but is limited to about 50 officials.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 10:24am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Tolliver Camp

Does this camp have online information?

Also, how sohould I go about choosing a camp to suit my abilities. I do not want to go to a camp and be overwhelmed (sp?) and then learn nothing. I am considering the camp run here in Illinois by Al Reyes (D3 and NAIA I think) or I have also received information on Conference USA.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
BTW, there is a great picture of Tony Horton (AKA Crew) in action on this page:

http://www.officiating.com/index.cgi...ttocoastphoto1

(2nd one from the top)
Hey buddy, get that arm up!

(Nice picture.)
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Coast to Coast

I will also echo the positive comments about coast 2 coast. If you want to learn about positioning, self-evaluation, play-calling, philosophy and interact with some of the best officials on the planet, then you should consider going. They teach tape break-down which I am a big advocate of. I have been the past 2 years. I get game tapes of every college game I referee and do the same thing the NBA guys do and "breakdown" my games, which has helped me tremendously, in more ways than one.

The interaction is outstanding with the staff as they are very down to earth and very easy to talk to. Just as an aside, if you are going to "college camps" my advice on that is to make sure you are ready and prepared. You only get once chance to make a first impression in front of a supervisor whether its Division I, II, or III. Make sure your ready and have some experience!!!!!

Coast to Coast is a learning camp. You are not trying out or getting evaluated for any leagues.

Happy Camp Hunting!!! I look forward to it every summer.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 01:01pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Ready for college camps?

As we all know we are our own worst critic. How do I know when I am ready to go to a camp and make that great first impression? I would love to go to a college camp, but now I am kinda paranoid. I know that I am probably not ready for any D1 ball, but I think that I could handle the D3. Now I do know that there really isn't that much difference in the athletes other than height and weight and maybe a little less skill.