The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

No, I'm not crew/zimp/anyone else.

I blew two (albeit minor) calls in my second game today.

First one, I'm trail coming upcourt, right behind the halfcourt line. B1 is set at the top of the lane, and A1 charges into B1. I look; figure that the fast drive was somewhat dual responsibility, and called a PC.

Second one, I'm again trail as the A1 (same player as before) brings the ball upcourt. He goes to the ground, and I instinctively call traveling. Turns out, he was dribbling the whole way to the ground, which the lead clearly saw.

(I'll take the encouragement from Juulie's post about messing up).

Question(s) is (are): in the second situation, could I (a) ask the lead if A1 was still dribbling and reverse the call? -or- (b) Say I stopped play to check if A1 was hurt, and give A the ball back?

(Of course, I didn't think of these until about 40 minutes after the game . . .)
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

I'm having trouble understanding what you did wrong in the first play.

In the second play, if you feel you kicked it, admit it, correct it and play on.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
No, I'm not crew/zimp/anyone else.
what does that mean?

I blew two (albeit minor) calls in my second game today.

First one, I'm trail coming upcourt, right behind the halfcourt line. B1 is set at the top of the lane, and A1 charges into B1. I look; figure that the fast drive was somewhat dual responsibility, and called a PC.

how was this a miss? because of where you were?

Second one, I'm again trail as the A1 (same player as before) brings the ball upcourt. He goes to the ground, and I instinctively call traveling. Turns out, he was dribbling the whole way to the ground, which the lead clearly saw.

i have actually seen officials come to each other and offer the information (he was still dribbling) and the calling official give a toot on the whistle and say, "my bad, my bad, inadvertant whistle it is still a's ball." then give the coaches a moment to vent(because he screwed up) and if the explanation was needed he would go to the upset coach give a brief explanation, put the ball in play and move.

Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
First play, I was still in the backcourt, and the play happened in my partner's primary right in front of my partner.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
First play, I was still in the backcourt, and the play happened in my partner's primary right in front of my partner.
If the play is at the top of the key, it is not in your partner's primary, just because you're at the division line.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
did you dial down the center 1-800-c a l l-a t t, save a buck or 2 you know
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by crew

Huh?

I know the commercials, but how does this tie in to the basketball officiating board?
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Mark,
In your second situation, I wouldn't ask my partner, nor would I make up some reason to stop play. If coach asks about it, admit you screwed up and move on.
From a partner standpoint, I have had situations similar to your where I could see that a travel that was called, should not have been. i.e., player goes up for shot, get the ball knocked loose, then comes back down to ground with it. parnter calls travel. Oh well I say.
I had a bad experience once with overruling a call made by my partner. And he was a friend!
I was lead, he, trail. As A1 drives to basket, he gets the ball knocked loose by B1.(very slightly I might add, but enough for A1 to lose control momentarily)
My partner, from trail, (looking through backs I might add)
calls a travel. I give the old double tweet and call partner over. I tell him what I saw, (remember I'm lead and play unfolded right in front of me) he says,"no we're still going with the travel." As he starts down the floor, I guess I snapped. I hit my whistle, said very loudly "THE BALL WAS LOOSE, THERE IS NO TRAVEL, WHITE BALL!!!!"
This was the first of a two game set, and my partner didn't say word one to me for the rest of the night!
So when it comes to overruling a partner, I would hesitate to do so, unless the game situation (time and score) dictated that a team was going to be put at a serious disadvantage if the call stands.
Just my two cents worth.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I understand with a partner overruling me (which happened to me last night), but I was referring to obtaining information from my partner to make the correct call.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 01:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink It is a joke.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by crew

Huh?

I know the commercials, but how does this tie in to the basketball officiating board?
I think the suggestion is that the call was a long distance one. But I could be wrong.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Mark,
In your second situation, I wouldn't ask my partner, nor would I make up some reason to stop play. If coach asks about it, admit you screwed up and move on.
From a partner standpoint, I have had situations similar to your where I could see that a travel that was called, should not have been. i.e., player goes up for shot, get the ball knocked loose, then comes back down to ground with it. parnter calls travel. Oh well I say.
I had a bad experience once with overruling a call made by my partner. And he was a friend!
I was lead, he, trail. As A1 drives to basket, he gets the ball knocked loose by B1.(very slightly I might add, but enough for A1 to lose control momentarily)
My partner, from trail, (looking through backs I might add)
calls a travel. I give the old double tweet and call partner over. I tell him what I saw, (remember I'm lead and play unfolded right in front of me) he says,"no we're still going with the travel." As he starts down the floor, I guess I snapped. I hit my whistle, said very loudly "THE BALL WAS LOOSE, THERE IS NO TRAVEL, WHITE BALL!!!!"
This was the first of a two game set, and my partner didn't say word one to me for the rest of the night!
So when it comes to overruling a partner, I would hesitate to do so, unless the game situation (time and score) dictated that a team was going to be put at a serious disadvantage if the call stands.
Just my two cents worth.
drake,
this does not sound like good partnering. when you added the information with your partner you then have to let him live and die with it. never change your partners call, allow him to toot the whistle and give the correct ruling, this will help keep the integrity of the crew intact. if you toot your whistle and overrule him it gives the perception that you are better than him, cocky, and dominant, which are 3 things you want to avoid.

i always accept the information that a partner gives me and change the call. he would not have come to me if i had gotten it correct.

if your partner declines the info then the play is his responsibility 100%, and when the coaches moan and groan about it he needs to step and diffuse the situation.