The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Very bad game. Very bad. Partner head of eval committee that decides whether I get my varsity certification early. Which I want. Very much. And I can't even talk about it because my commissioner reads this board. But I'm not keeping secrets. If he needs to know, my partner will tell him!

Okay, so I have two evals, maybe three this week, and an important one tomorrow.

I'm counting on you guys and gals to give me those "Put It Behind You" speeches. You all know the routine -- Shake It Off, Don't Let One Bad Game Get You Down, etc.

You've got about 18 hours to fill this board up with useful, cheerful encouragement, which I will read before I go to my games tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

How bad can it be? Did you miss a couple calls? Who of us hasn't? Was the game ugly? We can't ref it pretty you know. Did anyone die? If so, I can't help you on that one. Did you cost a team a game? I doubt it...even if you made a questionable call at the end, they probably had many missed opportunities prior to that. If you hustled and did your best, you have nothing to worry about. Your varsity cert. will come when you're ready. Until then, enjoy the roller coaster ride that is officiating.

Z
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Knock on wood (and I am NOT superstitious)

I have had a string of very good games.

I have had situations with Howler Monkeys that could have been "ugly". I handled them with confidence, and a smile, because I had a "rolladex" of responses for the "What ifs".

Try to get mentally prepared during your pre-game. Examine what you are doing prior to entering the court. Get your attitude right, convince yourself you are going to have a good game and that you are doing this because it is FUN! That has helped me as much as anything lately.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 10:46pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb it's your game.

Jewel,
Your partner was an evaluator?
Who's game did you call?
His... or yours.
Call your game.
Git it done.
We are our worst critics.
Que sera sera.
Amuse vous bien.
Bon chance!
mick
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Hey, remember why you're doing this? It's fun, right?
It was fun when you started, it's fun now. The only
difference between then & now is you're a heck of a lot
better at it. Wanting to move up comes with getting better.
Keep having fun & you'll move up. Now go & have some fun!
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Re Bad Game

Stop beating yourself up and stop worrying about evaluations as that can detract from your game. Focus on the game and your responsibilties during the game and advancement will come.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

I knwo that I've had several bad games for whatever reason. The way I get over those and quit beating myself up si to remember why I referee. I love the game, need the exercise, and want to have fun. Now, when something is going wrong or is too stressful, I think of those reaons. Am I getting to watch basketball (and getting paid for it)? Am I exercising (and getting paid for it)? Am I having fun? If I don't think I'm having fun, I try to find something funny or cheerful about the last play or what the coach said or how the coach is acting. Don't let the fact that you're being evaluated bother your calling. Remember: have fun!
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Julie,

I am in my second year, and I have had my share of bad nights. Here is what I do, learn from what you think your mistakes were, and try not to make them again (especially when there are so many more to make

Evaluate your game, what did you do wrong, what can you do to avoid the same situation. Have fun tonight.