The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Case book 4.19.8 B (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3716-case-book-4-19-8-b.html)

Danvrapp Mon Jan 14, 2002 01:57pm

Case book 4.19.8 B reads: "B1 holds A1, whose team is in the bonus. A1 is successful in both free-throw attempts. While B1 is making the throw-in from behind the end line, A1 pushes B2." I'm concerned when Team B <b>IS NOT</b> in the bonus.

The Ruling states: "...If Team B is not in the bonus, it is awarded the ball for a throw-in <i>from a designated spot</i> OOB nearest to where the foul occurred.

Is this right? I thought the new rule this year entitled B to continue to be able to run the end line in this situation. Am I missing something....? Is something different here because B1 had just held A1? Does the word "<i><b>While</b></i>" in the explaination have anything to do with anything? Does this mean the ball is already in the air when A1 is called for the push? :confused:

Rule(s) 7.5.7 and 7.4.3 may be good rules to reference here.

Jerry Blum Mon Jan 14, 2002 02:15pm

Rule Change.

I believe this would be under the new rule change(NFHS) and B would be given the ball and also able to run the baseline if that is where the ball should be inbounded(spot nearest where the foul occured).

This is assuming that I am correct in that the throw-in would not end until it has touched a player in bounds.

*I don't have my rule book with me so if I am mistaken someone please correct me.

mick Mon Jan 14, 2002 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Danvrapp
Case book 4.19.8 B reads: "B1 holds A1, whose team is in the bonus. A1 is successful in both free-throw attempts. While B1 is making the throw-in from behind the end line, A1 pushes B2." I'm concerned when Team B <b>IS NOT</b> in the bonus.

The Ruling states: "...If Team B is not in the bonus, it is awarded the ball for a throw-in <i>from a designated spot</i> OOB nearest to where the foul occurred.

Is this right? I thought the new rule this year entitled B to continue to be able to run the end line in this situation. Am I missing something....? Is something different here because B1 had just held A1? Does the word "<i><b>While</b></i>" in the explaination have anything to do with anything? Does this mean the ball is already in the air when A1 is called for the push? :confused:

Rule(s) 7.5.7 and 7.4.3 may be good rules to reference here.

Danvrapp,

See Case *7.5.7 Situation B (p.53).

The Rule folks, and I, must consider it not much of a disadvantage for the Thrower to inbound the ball near the division line or beyond. It is considered "a wash".

mick

Hoosier Mon Jan 14, 2002 03:10pm

I agree with mick. If A1 fouls B2 near B2's baseline, the ball is going to be brought in under B2's basket. It is at the spot closest to the foul. However, if the foul happens to occur where the ball will be brought on the baseline where the throw in was occurring after the made basket, then B would still have the opportunity to run the baseline.

BktBallRef Mon Jan 14, 2002 03:30pm

Dan, the case play does not specify where the foul occurs.

If the nearest spot is the baseline, then B would be allowed to run the endline.

If the nearest spot is not the endline, but the sideline, it's a designated spot throw-in.

Rookie Mon Jan 14, 2002 04:09pm

Maybe I missed something, but B maintain's their right to run the line if a foul against B is committed. If team B is not in the bonus, they have a spot throw in. If A1 fouls B1, they don't gain the right to run the line.

Did I miss something?

Danvrapp Mon Jan 14, 2002 04:26pm

Rookie - See Mick's response above and review the two rules he sites. I think you'll understand then. If the foul occurs in <b>B's frontcourt</b>, they lose their right to run; however, they're now significantly closer to their own basket--not necessarily a disadvantage ;)