The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching a high school girls varsity basketball game the other night and saw the following:

Player A1 has two fouls on her (she's always getting called for scrappy fouls) and commits her third. As the ref is going to the table, the player (A1) slaps the floor hard with both of her hands, making a load echo throughout the gym.

Should he have called a technical on A1?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

I would need more info, but it could qualify for an unsportsmanlike technical if it was determined to be a "dishonorable act." In my opinion the act alone would need to be placed in context to the entire situation to get a "T" from me.
Take care-
Pat
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I agree. Chances are is was simply done in frustration, not necessarily as an act of beligerence to the official. But if it clearly WAS a disrespectful act directed at the ref, it could be a "T." In most such situations, better off letting the player vent in such a simple way that is more likely to hurt her hands than hurt my feelings.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I had that situation as a kid came into the game. He went and slapped the floor to pump himself up. I just turned to him and gave him a warning that he needs to find a better way of getting psyched because if done at the wrong time, it could be considered an unsportsmanlike act and called a T. Just hitting anything, except the backboard, is not a T. But doing it out of frustration is. I T'd a girl a couple weeks ago for using the padding at the end of the gym as a drum after she let the ball go out of bounds.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden on 02-03-2000 11:52 AM
I T'd a girl a couple weeks ago for using the padding at the end of the gym as a drum after she let the ball go out of bounds.

Whoa! I gotta remember to be REAL careful if you're working one of the games I'm playing in. Can't even vent a little frustration at MYSELF when it's not even directed at the ref? Ouch.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Vent, ok. But to do a drum roll. Even the coach just shook his head on that one and chewed the girl out. Didn't say a word to me.