The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
In a gym tonight with the strangest set-up. Coaches boxes both textbook locations. Although there were so many different colored lines on the floor, I'm not sure how anyone would have known, without careful attention. But, okay, textbook measurements, and marked. But the table was way off center to the point that the visiting coach was actually sitting in front of the table itself. It seemed to me this gave him an enormous advantage, since he could keep talking to subs while they were waiting to come in, and he could keep up a running patter with his book person. The other coach had none of these advantages. I figured, oh, well, they could change this if they wanted to, and then at least they were sportsmanlike enough to give the advantages to the visitors.

But I had to wonder if it was legal. Just skimming through quickly, I can't find anything against it, but perhaps I'm missing something. Dexter, can you punch in on this one?
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

The international (FIBA) rulebook (Art. 2.5) clearly delineates where the scorer's table and team bench areas are supposed to be. The NFHS book doesn't?
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Under no circumstances is the coaching box to be located directly in front of the scorer's table. Check out 1.13 B and C. The case plays say that the box can be moved anywhere (with state association approval), as long as it is located in front of the bench. If you're in front of the scorer's table, you're not in front of the bench - put down some tape and play on.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

That's not what the case plays are saying, Mark. In Juulie's situation, the table is not in the proper position, not the bench. Sometimes it's a necessary evil.

Juulie, I run into situations like this at 2 or 3 gyms that we work at. There's no need to get legalistic as far as the table being behind either team's bench. Just simply required the X to be at the division line, and have all subs go to the X. The scorer and timer will simply have to be a little more observant. We handle it this way and don't have any problems.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Under no circumstances is the coaching box to be located directly in front of the scorer's table. Check out 1.13 B and C. The case plays say that the box can be moved anywhere (with state association approval), as long as it is located in front of the bench. If you're in front of the scorer's table, you're not in front of the bench - put down some tape and play on.
so you are saying that the game is forfeit?
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
so you are saying that the game is forfeit?
No. I would put tape down on the floor in front of the bench, instead of using the lines that are in front of the scorer's table.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Big-T Tony has the best angle -- the whole bench set up overlaps with the table. Or rather , the table overlaps the bench. Tony, I see what you mean about the X being at the division line. I'll do it that way next time.

Thanks.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

I can see where this would be a problem. What do you do if he stands in front of the scorer? Technically he is in the box. If he was ticked at you he could be really passive-aggressive, and it would be legal. I almost think you overlook the textbook definition of the box and look to the spirit of the rule, move the box down a bit so the area in front ofthe table is clear.

I don't know if they do it there, but in OH we are supposed to write the state about strange gym or equipment problems.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

good idea moving the X to the division line. I don't think i want players from the home team sitting with the coach of the visiting team.