The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Just registered! I do not officiate basketball but I love reading the posts on this board. I am a volleyball official and I have a question for you folks.

I was riding to a high school match with my partner who is a multi-sport official (brand new to volleyball, though). During the one hour ride to the school he entertained me with his tales of officiating the many sports he does. The only thing he said about volleyball was that because he officiated so many different sports, he wasn't able to remember all of the signals in every sport so tonight, he would be using football signals instead of volleyball signals.

What would have been your reactions to an official who told you something like that before a game?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

open up da car door!
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Yow!

How do you use football signals in volleyball? Could you maybe give us an example?

I agree - throw this guy out and do the game yourself.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,

I was actually referring to me jumping out, but that wks also, maybe even better
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
Mark,

I was actually referring to me jumping out, but that wks also, maybe even better
Oh, okay.

I'd push him out, work the game myself, and take the increased check .
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

what's wrong with that?
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

LOL! I'd tell him that was OK because I was going to use my WWF reffing signals. Then I'd pray. My assignor would get a call the next morning.

Z
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Sounds like this guy had a sense of humour and was pulling your chain.!!!
Old Sun Jan 13, 2002, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Peter:

This guy was not pulling my chain, he really had no clue what he was doing. This happened about 5 years ago and from what I heard, has not improved much. Luckily the guy and some others (just barely above his caliber) formed another chapter about 25 miles away from here so I will NEVER have to work with him again.

Thanks for the replies!
Old Sun Jan 13, 2002, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

How did you deal with this guy that had no idea? What did you do to keep the game in control even though he was screwing it?
Old Sun Jan 13, 2002, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Luckily (for us!) one team very much over-matched the other so it was pretty much a blow-out. I was the referee so I pretty much controlled the game myself without much need for him to do anything except handle substitutions (I officiate rec leagues by myself so it wasn't anything unusual for me). I just couldn't help but be upset that he got the same pay as me for doing next to nothing. ( oh well, at least he drove!)

In our area we have very few elementary or even Jr. High volleyball leagues for newer officials to learn from. Unfortunately because of this, along with a lack of officials, we are forced to use new officials for high school matches (same officials are used for both the jv and varsity). From talking to a co-worker who officiates basketball he tells me that you must work your way up to be able to officiate varsity games in his chapter of officials.

I guess I was just curious to see if any other sports had the same problem with officials who didn't really care about the sport, they only cared about getting paid. By the way, this guy told me that he uses the pay checks from all the officiating he does to take trips to Las Vegas. I wish I could use mine for that!!

Ken
Old Sun Jan 13, 2002, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I really thought he MUST be kidding you. Wow, I have never before heard anything like that. We all know people who do it for the money( ie the oldest profession(; >) ) ,but they should always be qualified and evaluated to do whatever level assigned. I can't believe any leagues would use the services of such a group!!!
Pistol