The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

A1 scores basket. B1 grabs ball, jumps out of bounds and prepares for throw-in. Just as B1 gets ready to release ball. inbounds teammate turns and runs other direction. This in turn causes B1 to lean forward with the ball still firmly in both hands, and touch the floor inbounds. Once he recovered his balance, he stood back up to continue throw-in. My partner hit his whistle and called a violation.We talked about it later. I thought it was a no-call since throw -in doesn't end until ball is released. Our local association was split 50-50 on this one.

------------------
foxyref
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

I say violation, based on Rule 9-2-2 Art 5, stating a thrower cannot carry the ball onto the court.
-Take Care
Pat
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnfox on 02-02-2000 09:50 PM
This in turn causes B1 to lean forward with the ball still firmly in both hands, and touch the floor inbounds. Once he recovered his balance, he stood back up to continue throw-in.

My initial hunch is to go with your partner's violation call. I think I could make a case for the call on a couple of grounds assuming that my premise in #1 below is correct (which I think it is):

1. According to 4-4-1 and 4-4-2, a ball which is in contact with the player would be considered to be in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt. In this instance, the ball (which is live as soon as it is at the disposal of the thrower) is touching the frontcourt, thereby giving it frontcourt (and inbound) status.

2. 9-2-5 prevents the thrower from carrying the ball onto the court. The thrower did such by leaning over and touching the ball the court.

3. 9-2-6 prevents the throw from touching the ball in the court before it touches or is touched by another player. The thrower has been the first player to touch the ball after it has gone onto the court, albeit simultaneously with the ball touching the court.

4. 9-2-11 NOTE indicates that the "thrower may penetrate the plane provided he/she does not TOUCH the inbounds area before the ball is released on the throw-in pass." Touching the ball to the floor inbounds makes is, I believe, the same as touching the inbounds area.

Tough situation. I wouldn't want to have to think on my feet and fly by the seat of my pants. Anyone else got additional ideas?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Might depend on the situation.

If the opposing team is pressing, I'd probably make the call. If there is no press, I'd probably let it go. (Advantage/Disadvantage)

------------------
Brian Johnson
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Nothing tough here guy's,, violation plain and simple.
As pointed out, per rule 9, sect. 2, art. 5&6..
And as pointed out in case book play 9.2.5,
( Whether or not there was defensive pressure or whether or not stepping on the court was inadvertent, it is a violation and no judgment is required in making the call.)