Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting stuff on ESPN.com....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...xplainsNBAbets
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 01:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Superstar call? I thought Nash won the last two MVP awards before this season?
Nash did win the MVP. Tim is also a superstar in the league. Nothing I said was untrue. As for the MVP thing, Nash should have won again.

Quote:
Nash flopped if anything. If he wanted to get not called for a foul, why not just be a man and take the contact. Why do you have to embellish the contact? I do not even believe that Nash even was contacted in the chest.
Nash had proper position and was contacted. Those are true facts. He may have started to absorbe the contact by moving backwards and he may not have: I came to two conflicting opinions on two different camera angles.

If Nash did flop, why didn't the official make the correct call of either only a T for flopping, or an offensive foul for the illegal contact on a player with even-in-the-NBA-LGP, and a T for flopping? But to bail on that possibility and call a blocking foul, I mean, c'mon.

Quote:
Why just intentional? Why not flagrant? To be fair this is not a play you see every day. And if Nash did not react the way he did, we likely would have never been able to discuss this play. The bottom line is a foul was called. We can always debate what we ultimately call on a play like this. If the game was fixed why was there a call at all?
I dunno the definition of Flagrant in the NBA, but I don't think the player intended to injure Nash, but I do think that the contact was excessive. What does Nash's reaction have to do with anything: he reacted the way any living male would. If there's ever one call that sets in motion an official's exit from a league, I hope that a no-call on a knee to someone's groin would be it. Fix or no fix, at least a foul was called.

Quote:
I agree with that there was contact, but Nash tried to squeeze between two players.
To me, Nash had a great line to make a Nash-typical MVP play. Then he was fouled.

Quote:
Why Nash gets credit for being an MVP just baffles me.
Because he elevates the success of his team. He puts up amazing numbers, makes everyone around him a better player, and leads the team to a fantastic year.

Quote:
That is a play I do not expect a HS varsity player to make.
There are likely only a few HS players that could make this move.

Quote:
He had no where to go similar to the previous play that was no called. Also let us not forget, we did not see all calls during the game. How do we know this similar call was not called at other times during the game? That is the problem with videos on “YouTube” and people post things with an agenda.
Agreed. Are you saying that this crew was consistent? Consistently bad, I guess.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 01:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
You should word this, "Each person makes him or herself look bad or look good". JR doesn't make himself look bad. He knows the rules, reads the book, and applies the rules consistently. He makes himself look good. The only thing he asks of you is that you do the same, and he states quite clearly what happens when you don't. On which point you appear to agree with him by saying, "You make yourself look bad."

If it's so easy to do it, why don't you?
You know, you really need to grow up. If you believe that to be true of your man, then so be it. There is no hope for you. There is a term for people like you. Enablers. Have you ever heard that term before? Do you know what it really means? I will not challenge your opinion of your man. I just share a different one.

The question you asked about reading the book. I've been doing this so long, I don't have to. Then again, I'm not trying to be perfect. I'm just trying to get the right call at the right time which I tend to do quite well. My expereince tells me that I don't have to be perfect to be a good official. I also don't have to call you an idiot because you don't know as much as i do.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 01:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
You know, you really need to grow up.
OS telling rainmaker to grow up? This has to be the stoopidest post in the forum's history.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The question you asked about reading the book. I've been doing this so long, I don't have to. Then again, I'm not trying to be perfect.
This pretty much sums up what most of us have known for a while - you aren't a real official. Any real official reads the rule and case books every year, because the rules change every year. Some of us read it many more times than once a year. Every good official strives to be perfect. Realistically, none of us ever reach perfection, but we continue to try.

A wise man once said, when an official stops trying to be perfect, then it's time to hang up the whistle and retire from officiating. You should listen to that wise man.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Nash did win the MVP. Tim is also a superstar in the league. Nothing I said was untrue. As for the MVP thing, Nash should have won again.
Nash had proper position and was contacted. Those are true facts. He may have started to absorb the contact by moving backwards and he may not have: I came to two conflicting opinions on two different camera angles. If Nash did flop, why didn't the official make the correct call of either only a T for flopping, or an offensive foul for the illegal contact on a player with even-in-the-NBA-LGP, and a T for flopping? But to bail on that possibility and call a blocking foul, I mean, c'mon.

Quote:
If Nash did flop, why didn't the official make the correct call of either only a T for flopping, or an offensive foul for the illegal contact on a player with even-in-the-NBA-LGP, and a T for flopping? But to bail on that possibility and call a blocking foul, I mean, c'mon.
I would not say those are facts. I would say that is a judgment on your part and my part. I think call was very close and that Nash flopped which may have clouded the way the call was made. Also I do not know the NBA rule, but when is the last time you have seen anyone call a T on a flop at any level? I can speak for myself; I have never in all my years of watching the game or officiating have NEVER seen anyone call a T for this. Even in the year this was a POE or an editorial clarification on the issue, I still never saw a single T for this. And it was not like the contact was fabricated, there was contact. I can just tell you that the philosophy on a play in the NBA when there is a "flop" type of play; this is usually called as a block.

Quote:
I dunno the definition of Flagrant in the NBA, but I don't think the player intended to injure Nash, but I do think that the contact was excessive. What does Nash's reaction have to do with anything: he reacted the way any living male would. If there's ever one call that sets in motion an official's exit from a league, I hope that a no-call on a knee to someone's groin would be it. Fix or no fix, at least a foul was called.
My comment was not about the NBA rule. My comments were about your assertion of what you might call (or feeling that you would hop you had the gonads ) during an NF game.

Quote:
To me, Nash had a great line to make a Nash-typical MVP play. Then he was fouled.
My comment was not about the NBA rule. My comments were about your assertion of what you might call (or feeling that you would hop you had the gonads ) during an NF game.

Quote:
Because he elevates the success of his team. He puts up amazing numbers, makes everyone around him a better player, and leads the team to a fantastic year.
Usually MVPs help their team win a championship. He has not even won the Western Conference Finals yet. He did not get past the second round this year and last year he got to the Western Conference Finals for the first time. That is not and MVP to me. Granted he is a great player, but he was not an MVP. If anyone was an MVP this year, it was LeBron.

Quote:
There are likely only a few HS players that could make this move.
Not trying to brag, but I have seen HS players in person handle the ball just as well if not better. They just have not achieved the NBA yet.

Quote:
Agreed. Are you saying that this crew was consistent? Consistently bad, I guess.
I did not see the entire game. Consistency is based more on 10 calls. And I do not see how any calls helped fix the game. From my understanding, the Spurs fouled more than the Suns did. The Spurs actually play defense. Maybe this is why they win NBA Championships and the Suns are just watching the NBA Finals every year.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

As far as fixing a game for winner or loser, I think that that would be very hard for an official to pull off as there are so many other variables that would play a role in that (injuries, off-nights, players just not hitting shots), it would just be too big of a risk to try that.

However, if you don't think that an official could help dictate an over/under bet or cut a few points to cover a spread your an idiot. An official could very easily do that with only one or two calls at key times.

Like the above article stated, it will be very easy to tell. Just get the tapes of the games Donaghy worked, get the lines and the over/unders for those games and really all you would have to watch is the fourth quarter to tell what games he might have been playing a part in.

Personally I don't think he was trying to decide a winner or a loser, but just affecting if the spread was covered or not and how many points were being scored.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There are no T's for flopping in the NBA. I believe greg did make the right call, but I will save my explanations when I write out what I thought on each play.

If you think the contact was excessive then you would have been tossing him with a flagrant penalty 2. If you thought it was unnecessary contact you would have given him a flagrant penalty 1. Which do you think it was?

As far as the plays on youtube this is what I have:

Play 1: Horrible call by Tim. He had no angle. Trusting your partners is a two way street. You have to trust them to make calls in your primary when you don't have a look, but you also have to know when your partner has a great look in his primary and is able to distinguish the legality or illegality of the contact.

Play 2: Good block. The L could possibly see this but the C and T are going to have good looks as well. That's just good play in the post area.

Play 3: Good call by Ed Rush. Amare is sprinting the floor but Oberto runs harder and beats Amare to the Spot.

Play 4: This is a very very hard play. IMO this is a block, because I believe he arrives too late. Duncan has started his shooting motion before Nash gets there, plus look where nash goes. He does not go straight back, he strafes off to the side. Like I said though, it is a very tough play. 50/50

Play 5: Good foul on Diaw. Duncan might have stuck his hip out a little but it was not overt enough to warrant an offensive foul, therefore, defensive foul on Diaw for running into the offensive player.

Play 6: Great pick up by Ed Rush. I don't think I would have called a Flagrant 1 or 2 here either. It was great enough that he picked up the offensive foul on the sly little Bowen.

Play 7: Good no call by Greg. I believe Nash was losing the ball anyway and even if he wasn't it didn't look like anything happened anyway. There should have been a Technical foul on Nash for waving off the ref. I saw this play on a web clip and was told such.

Play 8: Possible foul on Bowen, but couldn't really tell whether he slapped his hand or his forearm.

As far as the comment about splitting players. Yes I agree it is a stupid play, but if he gets hit on the arm, then he gets hit on the arm and we need a foul.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 03:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Read the last response. This is the perfect example to just ignore him.

Peace
I see what you mean. Call a foul on the smaller player in a block/charge situation because you have to protect the larger player. That certainly is a different philosophy.....different than any other official in the world, for sure.

And his statement about doing this so long that he doesn't have to read the rule books is self-explanatory, but still doesn't surprise anyone.

JMO.....silly monkey......
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 03:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
As far as the comment about splitting players. Yes I agree it is a stupid play, but if he gets hit on the arm, then he gets hit on the arm and we need a foul.
If a player gets hit on the arm and the defender did nothing illegal, then it cannot be a foul. This is why I continue to say that contact can be severe and still is not a foul. What if the defender tapped the ball away first? Are we calling a foul just because there was some minor contact on the arm? Also I will not speak for what the NBA does, but I will speak for how I was taught all summer at some very experienced officials. You do not bail out the offense for a bad play. So if you feel that Nash was trying to go somewhere he was not going to go based on where the defense was, the last thing you want to do is call a foul on the defense in this kind of situation. I know based on what I saw if I did not have the best angle, I am passing on this play.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If a player gets hit on the arm and the defender did nothing illegal, then it cannot be a foul. This is why I continue to say that contact can be severe and still is not a foul. What if the defender tapped the ball away first? Are we calling a foul just because there was some minor contact on the arm? Also I will not speak for what the NBA does, but I will speak for how I was taught all summer at some very experienced officials. You do not bail out the offense for a bad play. So if you feel that Nash was trying to go somewhere he was not going to go based on where the defense was, the last thing you want to do is call a foul on the defense in this kind of situation. I know based on what I saw if I did not have the best angle, I am passing on this play.

Peace
No, I'm sorry. You were reading my post to pure. I agree with you totally about a defender being legal and the offensive player's arm getting hit. In the play that we are talking about though. Bowen comes from behind and swings at the ball. If nash gets hit on the arm, no matter where he is or is not going, we need to have a foul.

As far as what I have in bold:

The NBA is not taught that. They believe in not bailing out players, but they also believe that if a player gets hit illegally, no matter if it was a stupid play or not, that it is a foul. That is one of the minor details that is different from college to the NBA. College refs can pass on it with no consequence, NBA refs cannot for the fact that it will be chalked up as NO Call INCORRECT on their charting of plays and will reduce their percentage of plays called correctly.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
You know, you really need to grow up. If you believe that to be true of your man, then so be it. There is no hope for you. There is a term for people like you. Enablers. Have you ever heard that term before? Do you know what it really means? I will not challenge your opinion of your man.
My man!?!? My MAN!?!? ROTFLMAO!!
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
My man!?!? My MAN!?!? ROTFLMAO!!
I heard he's built like a cement post.

At least that's what he tells me.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I heard he's built like a cement post.

At least that's what he tells me.
Who JR? I wouldn't know.

But if you mean MY man, well, I'm not publicizing.... (though, I gotta wonder where you would have heard about it...)
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 04:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
The NBA is not taught that. They believe in not bailing out players, but they also believe that if a player gets hit illegally, no matter if it was a stupid play or not, that it is a foul. That is one of the minor details that is different from college to the NBA. College refs can pass on it with no consequence, NBA refs cannot for the fact that it will be chalked up as NO Call INCORRECT on their charting of plays and will reduce their percentage of plays called correctly.
I strongly disagree. There will be consequences for missing obvious fouls, escpecially the ones that lead to disadvantage. These are the fouls that we must get, NBA, college or hs. As I stated before, the officials in the NBA don't see guard play that fast that often, at a very high skill level. They missed a lot on the MVP player, SA was allowed to mug him.

If you're arguing about when he tried to dribble between the 2 players, odds of me calling a foul is slim to none. But that play outside where it was just him and Bowen and Bruce hit his arm, that's bs. As a crew, you all get dinged on that one because Bruce is playing cheap. And he continued to play cheap the rest of the game. Purposely hitting the dribblers arm, very slighlty, almost undetectable, is a huge defensive advangate. Now, everytime Steve goes into a crowd, someone is going to hit his arm.

What this tells me and it's a little off subject. But what this tells me is that SA knew they couldn't stop this kid. So the next thing, is you start to do things to frustrate him, legal or if necessary, illegal. Once the illegal stuff starts, and you recognize it. You have to step up your officiating. The crew in this game did not step up, imho.