The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 04:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Why not just judge what they are saying instead of judging the person.
Around here, that's how the person gets judged; based on what they're saying.
Quote:
Judge me for the content of my character and not the color of my skin. Martin Luther King
Funny thing about this board, skin color doesn't really affect how one is perceived here. It's all about what you say that determines how people view your character. Given what you've posted, I see three choices:

1. You don't really officiate and are just lying about your experience so you can feel part of the group. There may be other reasons on this one, but I find them all less charitable. Juulie tells me occasionally that I should remain charitable.

2. You really do officiate as much as you say, and with the philosophies and general rules ignorance that you display here. This says more about the state of basketball in your area than it does about you.

3. You really do officate as much as you say, but know more about the rules and hold more normal opinions on officiating philosophies than what you display here. This is the least charitable option, IMO.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 04:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
The content of your character is partly apparent when you don't tell us where you work, who you work for, what association you are in, what your reality is. When you imply that you work a higher level than you really do, your character is very clear to all of us.

We judge what you say, and not your person, and then you get all testy and chippy. You don't say things that are not meaningful or significant for most refs who work in high school ball and have to use NFHS rules. Worse, some of the things you say are confusing or misleading to these refs. THat's not judging the person, that's judging the things you say. As you request.

And how could we possibly judge by the color of your skin when you have never been seen by any of us, and WE DON"T KNOW THE COLOR OF YOUR SKIN???? In other words, judging by what you say, what you say is confusing and irrelevant (note spelling).
No comment
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 04:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No comment
This is actually the smartest post you have ever made.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 05:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
And this...

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured unto you. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me cast out the mote out of thine eye; and lo, the beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Goes on to say stuff about casting pearls before swine and looking out for wolves in sheep's clothing, good trees, bad trees..stuff like that. All somehow Old School related.
You forgot this......

"Don't piss me off!--God
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
And this...

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured unto you. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me cast out the mote out of thine eye; and lo, the beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Goes on to say stuff about casting pearls before swine and looking out for wolves in sheep's clothing, good trees, bad trees..stuff like that. All somehow Old School related.

Except for the good trees of course.
You do realize (I hope) that this passage in the Bible doesn't say NOT to judge . . . it says that IF you judge you will be judged by the same standard. I am willing to put my credibility up for judgement . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I told him that it had not and that as long as the player makes a legitimate attempt to block the shot that there is nothing wrong with the play. He replied that they don't call it that way in California.
Damn 9th Circuit Court of Appeals!
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
You do realize (I hope) that this passage in the Bible doesn't say NOT to judge . . . it says that IF you judge you will be judged by the same standard. I am willing to put my credibility up for judgement . . .
No, I didn't

I actually thought it had something to do with Judge Judy.

Thanks for bringing me up to date.

Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You forgot this......

"Don't piss me off!--God
Damn 9th Circuit Court of Appeals!

Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'll break it down. When holding the ball, you only need to have something touching the front court and nothing touching the backcourt. If you're standing on one foot holding the ball, if that foot is in the front court, you're in the front court. You could be doing a half-a$$ hokey-pokey with the other leg shaking it over the back court line; you're still in the FC and so is the ball. Air space is irrelevant.
The only time three points come into play (both feet and the ball) is while dribbling.
Thanks snagwells; that cleared it up for me. I appreciate it. I wasn't aware that the 'three points' only came into play when dribbling.
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by psujaye
Thanks snagwells; that cleared it up for me. I appreciate it. I wasn't aware that the 'three points' only came into play when dribbling.
and when dribbling from backcourt to frontcourt. Once the dribbler does establish frontcourt status, the 3 point rule is as irrelevant as a dirty shirt, as meaningless as yesterday's newspaper. Once frontcourt status is attained, ANY single touch in the backcourt, either one foot, the other foot, or the ball, is a violation. Again, on a dribble.
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 09:25am
Ch1town

Quote:
Once frontcourt status is attained, ANY single touch in the backcourt, either one foot, the other foot, or the ball, is a violation. Again, on a dribble.
Yes, and touching any part of the division line is considered to be the backcourt... contrary to what some summer coaches believe, a player doesn't have to cross the line to be IN the backcourt.
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 10:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Yes, and touching any part of the division line is considered to be the backcourt... contrary to what some summer coaches believe, a player doesn't have to cross the line to be IN the backcourt.
But he does have to cross the line to be in the front court.
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
You do realize that "Judge not" means "Do not judge".
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
You do realize that "Judge not" means "Do not judge".
Do you realize that "Lest ye be judged" means "if you don't want to be judged by others?" "Judge not" is not a commandment, it is a warning. It means "Watch out, you may not realize what you're getting yourself into" Apt words for OS who brought the whole subject up in the first place!

You also should realize that "Judging" in the context originally written, didn't mean "to discriminate between right and wrong". It meant "to impose final sentence". So "Judge not lest ye be judged" meant, "You can't know who's going to Hell and who's not, so you'd better not treat anyone as a Hellion". It was never intended to mean, "Don't ever tell anyone what they're doing is wrong, or against God's law". Rather we need to judge right and wrong, but not consign anyone to the ranks of hopeless or automatically condemned.

I'm willing to do that myself, by the way. I might tell you you're wrong, wrong, wrong in certain actions, but I'll never write you off or condemn you. You'll have to set that up for yourself! (I don't mean you personally Jim, just whoever is out there).

Last edited by rainmaker; Fri Jul 27, 2007 at 11:08am.
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 11:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs up

Quote:
Do you realize that "Lest ye be judged" means "if you don't want to be judged by others?" "Judge not" is not a commandment, it is a warning. It means "Watch out, you may not realize what you're getting yourself into" Apt words for OS who brought the whole subject up in the first place!

You also should realize that "Judging" in the context originally written, didn't mean "to discriminate between right and wrong". It meant "to impose final sentence". So "Judge not lest ye be judged" meant, "You can't know who's going to Hell and who's not, so you'd better not treat anyone as a Hellion". It was never intended to mean, "Don't ever tell anyone what they're doing is wrong, or against God's law". Rather we need to judge right and wrong, but not consign anyone to the ranks of hopeless or automatically condemned.

I'm willing to do that myself, by the way. I might tell you you're wrong, wrong, wrong in certain actions, but I'll never write you off or condemn you. You'll have to set that up for yourself! (I don't mean you personally Jim, just whoever is out there).
As an amateur theologian, well said!