The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question A mandated do-over; putting consumed time back on the clock

I'll willing admit that my eyes glaze over whenever the dreaded "do-over" topic comes up. We've picked those bones clean.

But while I was reseaching another topic, I came across this case:

A SPECIFIC UNSPORTING ACT
10.1.8 SITUATION: Immediately following a goal or free throw by Team A, A1 inbounds the ball to A2 and A2 subsequently throws the ball through A's basket. RULING: The following procedure has been adopted to handle this specific situation if it is recognized before the opponents gain control or before the next throw-in begins: (a) charge Team A with a technical foul; (b) cancel the field goal; (c) cancel any common foul(s) committed and any nonflagrant foul against A2 in the act of shooting; and (d) put “consumed” time back on the clock. COMMENT: If there is no doubt the throw-in was a result of confusion, the entire procedure would be followed except no technical foul would be charged. This procedure shall not be used in any other throw-in situation in which a mistake allows the wrong team to inbound the ball.

At least in the case where confusion led to the wrong team throwing in and scoring, it appears that the mandated "procedure" is a do-over.

Fair enough.

My actual question is this: are there any other situations where we would "put 'consumed' time back on the clock."? Obviously there are times where we put time back on because the clock wasn't stopped properly. But are there any others where the clock seemingly should be running and we put time back on as part of some correction?
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

No, the NFHS makes it very clear that this procedure is specific to this one instance and should not be applied to any other situation. In other words, we never put time back on the clock as part of correcting a non-timing mistake, with the exception of this one scenario.

Also, I disagree with you that this situation is a "do-over". It is not one because the other team is making the throw-in when play restarts. In a "do-over" the original conditions would be reestablished and the SAME team would be making the throw-in. That is not the case here.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
No, the NFHS makes it very clear that this procedure is specific to this one instance and should not be applied to any other situation. In other words, we never put time back on the clock as part of correcting a non-timing mistake, with the exception of this one scenario.

Also, I disagree with you that this situation is a "do-over". It is not one because the other team is making the throw-in when play restarts. In a "do-over" the original conditions would be reestablished and the SAME team would be making the throw-in. That is not the case here.
Point taken; it's not a do-over.

As for putting time back on the clock...

What about a re-jump? I recall a discussion here long ago about whether if the toss is called back but the clock was started the time should be reset to 8 mins. I don't recall what was ultimately decided.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Point taken; it's not a do-over.

As for putting time back on the clock...

What about a re-jump? I recall a discussion here long ago about whether if the toss is called back but the clock was started the time should be reset to 8 mins. I don't recall what was ultimately decided.
For this you would have to decide whether the clock was properly started or improperly started. If the toss by the referee was poor, then the ball became dead prior to the subsequent touch by one of the jumpers and clock should not have started. Thus a reset to 8:00 would be correct as this is considered an obvious timing mistake by the timer.

However, if there was nothing wrong with the toss and subsequent game action necessitated another jump ball then that game action MUST be timed and the clock should NOT be reset prior to this second jump ball.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
What Nevada said.

It's important to know that the clock starts when the ball is first touched on the jump ball, not when possession is gained.