The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Question

I wonder how much money has to do with it. I hear officials all the time say that as long as the checks are still rolling in, I will put on the stripes! Many officials that I hear that mke these statements also talk about the womens game is a good way to make easy money.So before we hang up our whistles do we give the womens game a shot?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
Many officials that I hear that mke these statements also talk about the womens game is a good way to make easy money.So before we hang up our whistles do we give the womens game a shot?
That has to be an individual decision. But for me, I don't enjoy the girl's game enough to do it just for the money. I do girl's games b/c I have to, in order to get my boy's games. The girl's game around here is terrible, so there's no way that I could do a full girl's schedule just to keep the checks rolling in. Ugh.

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

I always have to laugh when I hear somebody say they ref for the money. When you figure out how much time you spend getting to your game, getting ready, evaluating, going to meetings, and study the rules, it's about a dollar an hour. I hope those people are joking because there are much easier ways to make a few bucks. IMHO, that should never be the primary reason to ref.

When I'm asked if I ref for the money I say this:
"If they didn't pay us, I'd still do a few volunteer games, but I sure wouldn't work as many nights per week as I do."

Z

Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I always have to laugh when I hear somebody say they ref for the money. When you figure out how much time you spend getting to your game, getting ready, evaluating, going to meetings, and study the rules, it's about a dollar an hour. I hope those people are joking because there are much easier ways to make a few bucks. IMHO, that should never be the primary reason to ref.

Of course, the ones who do it for the money don't arrive early, don't prepare, don't pay attention to evaluations, skip out the back door at meetings if they even show up at all, and never study the rules.

So that makes it go up to $2/hour.