The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Diagram 10, on page 25, of the 2001-03 NF officials' manual shows the L on the same side of the court as T. Is this a mistake, or has there been some wierd change in court coverage where the lead slides down the endline?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

This is correct. L will go ball side to cover post action when ball is below free throw line on trail side and there is post action on T side. This puts L in best possible position to view post players in anticipation of entry pass from wing. L focuses on action in the paint and retains same primary coverage. T still has same primary coverage, if there is a shot attempt or skip pass T can take a step in to help with weakside coverage. In these situation L will wait until best opportunity to return to strong side coverage. If there is a transition while L is on T side, T will transition to new L same side and L will become the new trail while going over to side opposite new L. Hope this helps.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Where did you come up with this??

Quote:
Originally posted by heyref32
This is correct. L will go ball side to cover post action when ball is below free throw line on trail side and there is post action on T side. This puts L in best possible position to view post players in anticipation of entry pass from wing. L focuses on action in the paint and retains same primary coverage. T still has same primary coverage, if there is a shot attempt or skip pass T can take a step in to help with weakside coverage. In these situation L will wait until best opportunity to return to strong side coverage. If there is a transition while L is on T side, T will transition to new L same side and L will become the new trail while going over to side opposite new L. Hope this helps.
There doesn't seem to be many of us that move to that side.... Our association frowns on crossing through the paint... Where did you come up with this explanation?? I'd like to share it at our next meeting...

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 09:08am
In Memoriam

Quicksand

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Quote:
There doesn't seem to be many of us that move to that side.... Our association frowns on crossing through the paint... Where did you come up with this explanation?? I'd like to share it at our next meeting...
Chuck,
Strongside officiating is alive and well.
The mechanic is used for the same reason that the Lead crosses over in 3-whistle... to help your partner.

Have you ever been L with one player on your side and 9 players in your partner's area? That's a good time to go over and help. Crossing over puts you in a great position to see a play that may develop.
Like heyref wrote, if the ball goes to the other end or if that skip pass goes cross court, it's important to remember that other sideline has to be covered.

And while you are crossing over, never stop in the Quicksand, the area of the free throw lane extended toward and beyond the endline, because the angles are just bad... it is straight-line city.

mick

Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Where did you come up with this??

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Just Curious
Quote:
This is what my association calls "ball side officiating". I personally do it a lot. It's something I pregame, b/c I don't want my partner to be surprised when he sees me on "his" side of the floor. It's great to have that look-through when the big guys are fighting for position on (what would normally be) the opposite block, or when the ball has settled and there will be a drive to the hoop or an entry pass on that side of the floor. If you stay where you normally are, all you can see is the back of the defender. You really have to move if you're going to see through the play.

Couple things to remember about ball side officiating. First, as Mick says, the Lead is still responsible for his sideline, even though he's crossed to the other side of the floor. So you better be able to get back in a hurry if the ball swings back to "your" side of the floor.

Second, if you are Lead and you go ball side, and then there's a quick turnover and the ball heads upcourt, YOU are responsible for getting back to the correct side of the floor. Don't force your partner (the new Lead) to cut across the floor.

Third, officiate in your primary even after coming ball side. You don't have responsibility for the 3-point shot on that side of the floor. Your partner is still there so let him look at it. Keep watching the post.

It's too bad your association frowns on this. It's in the manual for a good reason, I think. The only downside to the mechanic is that it leaves the sideline uncovered in rare situations. But overall, I think I get a much better look at the play when I'm on the same side as the play.

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 09:59am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Where did you come up with this??

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

...Third, officiate in your primary even after coming ball side. You don't have responsibility for the 3-point shot on that side of the floor. Your partner is still there so let him look at it. Keep watching the post....

Chuck
Good point, Chuck.

To show our partner(s) that we are still in our primary, eventhough we have "crossed-over", we have found it useful to square up our body to the direction in which we are looking.

In this cross-over with post player interest, we will go to the other side and turn back toward the post players so that our shoulders are approximately 45 degrees to the baseline and looking back at the post. The partner will see this, and not bail out on the ball or out of his primary.

mick
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Mick, your concern on the sideline which the L is supposed to cover is valid. Look at it as if you are taking the lesser of two evils, as L I would much prefer to go ball side and get the proper angle on post play and make whatever call needs to be made (call or no-call) as opposed to covering the sideline and making sure the out of bounds is covered. You can bet that you will take a lot more heat for missing a foul than you would for missing an out of bounds, especially if that coach on the sideline is right there and sees his player get fouled. If the ball does go over to the Ls sideline quickly on a skip pass or swing the T can help by stepping in until the L can recover over to that side. Besides, usually on an a skip pass the out of bounds is quite obvious and if not you can always go by the reaction of the players or if you or your partner both don't know go with the AP. Much better choice than missing a potential foul.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 02:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Mick, your concern on the sideline which the L is supposed to cover is valid. Look at it as if you are taking the lesser of two evils, as L I would much prefer to go ball side and get the proper angle on post play and make whatever call needs to be made (call or no-call) as opposed to covering the sideline and making sure the out of bounds is covered. You can bet that you will take a lot more heat for missing a foul than you would for missing an out of bounds, especially if that coach on the sideline is right there and sees his player get fouled. If the ball does go over to the Ls sideline quickly on a skip pass or swing the T can help by stepping in until the L can recover over to that side. Besides, usually on an a skip pass the out of bounds is quite obvious and if not you can always go by the reaction of the players or if you or your partner both don't know go with the AP. Much better choice than missing a potential foul.
heyref,
I agree.
But, for your information, yer preachin' to the choir.
mick
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
... for your information, yer preachin' to the choir.
mick
Mick on top of all your other talents, you sing, too?!
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 02:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
... for your information, yer preachin' to the choir.
mick
Mick on top of all your other talents, you sing, too?!
Jewel,
Yeah, I do.
Baritone (Bass I), and I don't suck that bad.
Always wanted to be a Second Tenor. Oh, well... almost about two lines too low.
Gospel music is the best! But ya wanna hear my "Temptations"?
mick