The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 11:42am
Suppref

Smile

I know how much we all like to here about how dumb coaches are, so here is a true story which happened to me last week.

Teas A down 18 at the half. When teams are leaving the floor to the locker rooms Team A coach is staring a hole right through me. I ask him what's wrong, he tells me that "I", the official, am killing him. That it's my fault his team is down 18. I thought for a second to try and find a Davism but couldn't think of one so I said " I'm sorry I missed all those lay ups and the 10 turnovers I made, I'll try to do better in the second half." He responds to me with, " You should be!" He came out to me after the break and apologized for blaming me, and get this, could I ask my partner to get in the game. I gave him the "Stop" sign and walked away. Another rocket scientist entrusted with the youth of America.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Suppref
That it's my fault his team is down 18. I thought for a second to try and find a Davism but couldn't think of one so I said " I'm sorry I missed all those lay ups and the 10 turnovers I made, I'll try to do better in the second half."
No, it's not a Davism, but it's not bad!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Wink

I'm just wondering why you're repeating yourself? Why not just type "Coaches" as the title of the thread? The word "Dumb" is just redundant. Save yourself a little effort.

Chuck

(Sincere apologies to Hawks Coach!!)
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
I know how much we all like to here about how dumb coaches are, so here is a true story which happened to me last week.
If you are going to put us down, please make sure you know the difference between here and hear! Some of us coaches learned to spell in elementary school.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
If you are going to put us down, please make sure you know the difference between here and hear! Some of us coaches learned to spell in elementary school.
Yeah! That's wright!

(This is to much fun two bare!)
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'll see your dumb head coach and raise you an assistant.

Boys JV. Partner calls Intentional Foul. We administer the free throws, and go to inbound the ball. Both (Head and asst) coaches from the offended team jump up and yell that we didn't administer the right amount of free throws. I run over to consult with the table and see what they are talking about. Apparently, since we were in the bonus they thought they got 2 shots, then 1 and 1, then the ball. It took all I had not to bust out laughing as I explained the rule. They still think we cheated them out of a 1 and 1 though.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

I call the dumb head coach, jughead assistant, and raise you an annoying timer.

JV Tournament, I call a foul and while I am making my way to report I take a peek at the scoreboard and see 9 fouls. I report the foul and say 2 shots, tell my partner 2 shots, he administers and tells players 2 shots. We shoot the first one and coach says "hey, shouldn't that have been one and one". I look up and scoreboard still says 9 fouls, I look at timer and he's giving me the one and one signal. He apparently posted the foul before I reported it and was listening to the weather (it was snowing outside) on his school radio so he didn't notice me say 2 shots.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I'll see your dumb head coach and raise you an assistant.

Boys JV. Partner calls Intentional Foul. We administer the free throws, and go to inbound the ball. Both (Head and asst) coaches from the offended team jump up and yell that we didn't administer the right amount of free throws. I run over to consult with the table and see what they are talking about. Apparently, since we were in the bonus they thought they got 2 shots, then 1 and 1, then the ball. It took all I had not to bust out laughing as I explained the rule. They still think we cheated them out of a 1 and 1 though.
Did the first shot miss? If so, tell the coaches that they are right, the second shot doesn't count, and we now go to the AP arrow (only if it favors team B).
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 03:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
I know they have "schools" at aquariums, but do they have schools at zoos?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 04:12pm
Suppref

Quote:
Quote:
Glad to see "wear" all in the same "bote". I guess I should have "apolleejized" up front for my typing "skillz". Sometimes my "brane" works faster than my fingers "does". I never "lernt" it good in "elmentry" "skuul".

Sorry Hawks Coach, I've read many of your posts and I must say YOU and it seems Only you are the exception to the coaches stereotype.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 04:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Irregardless of your above statement,please let I reiterate that some zoos do contain aquariums.Me not sure if some aquariums also have zoos.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Sorry Hawks Coach, I've read many of your posts and I must say YOU and it seems Only you are the exception to the coaches stereotype.
I am sure there are many coaches who know the game and/or know enough to stick to coaching rather than reffing during their games. But unfortunately many coaches do not pass the test. Those guys and gals cause the rest of us to get a bad rep. And the lower the level of play in my experience, the worse the coaches are (Mr. Season on the Brink excepted, of course!).

Kind of stupid when you think about it. The most annoying loudmouths usually have the least on the line! Gotta win that 3rd grade rec title so I can move up to the next level in the coaching ranks
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Every time I push the right button, they give me another banana Got 3 already today!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 05:15pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I'll see the dumb head coach, jughead assistant, annoying timer and I'll raise you a group of alumni that just returned to the high school for winter brake just to get on the refs (personal experience).

Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

One of my favourites was the coach that explained to his team during a time out that all they needed to do to win was "score more than the other team".

Fair enough, but I would have thought that at State Representative level the players would already be aware of this (state rep is probably equal to the NBA development league, or Div1 NCAA).

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee