The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Just a sitch on watching the arrow and being aware of your situation. It's been discussed before, but it happened to me this past weekend and it feels good to catch a potential mistake that you know would get by many (too many) officials at this level.

Situation: JV tournament. B has arrow. We have a tie-up and a jump ball called. Signalled towards B. Horn and table calls me over, tells me #30 is in the book wrong for A. Give the T, shoot the shots, put the ball in play for B. By being aware, I notice she changed the arrow after the throw-in. So the next ball I go over to the table and explain why the arrow should be still pointing towards B, with the coaches in earshot. It was an innocent mistake but shouldn't go unnoticed. I usually try to communicate with the table before the throw-in to let them know the arrow will not change in this situation, that would have been even better.

We had a book T in the first 3 of my four games in this tournament. We counted but they wear warmup shirts so you can't check the numbers to make sure they are right. I always get a laugh, because usually when you tell the coach that he has a player in the game with the wrong number, he will say "ok, give me the T". I say "ok" and do it, like they really have a choice, maybe it makes them feel better.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 01:45pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
...I always get a laugh, because usually when you tell the coach that he has a player in the game with the wrong number, he will say "ok, give me the T". I say "ok" and do it, like they really have a choice, maybe it makes them feel better.
devdog,
You don't really "T" the coach,yo?
mick
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

no, I didn't mean give it to him in particular, it just seems like they act like they are giving you permission to give the Technical foul. I do not charge it directly or indirectly to anyone.