The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
7th grade boys, very competitive teams, although one was quite a bit ahead. One coach I tossed last year, and these teams have a rivalry, so I knew ahead of time it would be an intense game. Coach B (who I tossed last year) yelled some, but always backed down, and always accepted an explanation.

Coach A was your definitive Howler Monkey. He started howlin' before the tip and didn't stop until he was out the door. I explained a little, warned once, and then middle of third quarter, WHACK! He was out on the floor, questioning my intelligence, easy call. I reminded him twice to sit, but other than that he toned it down some and the amazing thing was that (as always) his team was coming back. They were connecting on passes, making shots, they got a couple of steals, fewer (not less, Mark...oops! I said I wouldn't mention it... Sorry!) fouls, were within seven points with plenty of time, when the howling started again. I'd had it up to here.

Now the assistant takes over -- including the howling!! I warned him once - "Coach, even though he's gone, you're still the assistant and may not yell at us AT ALL." But he had to get his licks in about one play later, he says, "I get it! They get three fouls before you give them a call." Bingo, bango, bongo --two coaches standing in the hall. And of course, A team lost.

I've backed off the T's this year, but I've still got it in me...
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

You go girl!

I changed my signature that appears at the bottom of each post earlier today. Considering your game, my timing couldn't have been better!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 06:12am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Good job,Juulie! You did Padgett proud(mis-use of diction intended,btw).:You can back off of T's,but you don't have to take that crap.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Good work. Did team A have another assistant coach to finish the game? If not I would have called it a forfeit.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
Good work. Did team A have another assistant coach to finish the game? If not I would have called it a forfeit.
If you can find an adult who can finish coaching the game without any liability problems, let 'em play. It's not the kids' fault that their coach is a jerk. They are 7th graders with a couple of poor sports for coaches. But they came to play. If the game is stopped, the coaches don't lose, the kids do.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Oh yeah, and don't ever end one early in Cleveland, or in any league where Tags is the commish.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Question still the assistant

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Now the assistant takes over -- including the howling!! I warned him once - "Coach, even though he's gone, you're still the assistant and may not yell at us AT ALL"
Where do you find the rationale that the assistant coach, after the head coach has been ejected, may not yell at you? He is now the acting head coach, and must be given the same respect that the other head coaches were given during the game.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: still the assistant

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:
Now the assistant takes over -- including the howling!! I warned him once - "Coach, even though he's gone, you're still the assistant and may not yell at us AT ALL"
Where do you find the rationale that the assistant coach, after the head coach has been ejected, may not yell at you? He is now the acting head coach, and must be given the same respect that the other head coaches were given during the game.
We have to respect the coaches? Maybe when they start respecting us . . .

Has anyone gotten an interpretation on this one? (I know it came up a month or two ago.) If A's coach is ejected, is the new coach now seatbelted? Does he take over any indirect technicals? Etc., etc.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: still the assistant

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Has anyone gotten an interpretation on this one? (I know it came up a month or two ago.) If A's coach is ejected, is the new coach now seatbelted? Does he take over any indirect technicals? Etc., etc.
He does not inherit the previous coach's indirects, but he is seatbelted.

Chuck
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: still the assistant

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Chuck
What rule is that from (if any)? If the coach is now seatbelted, I would assume he gets the rest of the head coach rights/responsibilities as well (request TO, etc.)
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

10-5 Penalty
When the coaching box is being utilized, then the first technical foul charged directly or indirectly to the head coach results in loss of the coaching-box privileges and the coach shall comply with the provisions of Articles 1 and 2 for the remainder of the game.

Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: Re: still the assistant

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Chuck
What rule is that from (if any)? If the coach is now seatbelted, I would assume he gets the rest of the head coach rights/responsibilities as well (request TO, etc.)
He's not seatbelted b/c he inherited any indirects. He's seatbelted simply b/c only one person gets to use the coaching box. And that one person has just exited the premises.

Chuck
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Re: still the assistant

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:
Where do you find the rationale that says any coach can yell at you?

People who yell at me don't get any respect. I don't put up with head coaches who yell at me and I don't put up with asst. coaches who yell at me. If an asst. doesn't have any better sense than to do the same thing that his boss just got tossed for, he probably won't be around long either.

Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Julie or anyone....

Plz clarify, did the assistant get tossed because you wacked him twice ?? Doesn't he get 2 Direct Technicals as well ???
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
allow me to add my 2 cents. If the coaching box is being used, it is in use for the whole game, correct? The head coach is designated at the start of the game, correct? If the head coach can not continue for whatever reason...the coaching box is still in affect, correct?If the coaching box privledge has been removed from team, for the entire game. No person is permitted to stand, with the exception of the head coach for any reason other than to greet a subisitute, stand during a 60-sec time out or to cheer for a great play. It does not however say that if a coach is ejected that an assitant get's promoted. Therefore the coaching box rule does apply, as does the standard of bench decorum that assistant coaches are not allowed to say anythign to the officials in a derogatory fashion

correct me if i'm wrong, please

Tyler