The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Illegal screen - lack of contact (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/36052-illegal-screen-lack-contact.html)

drinkeii Thu Jun 28, 2007 09:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
As others have said, no contact no foul...but if it's something you keep seeing, have your radar up, and get it when the contact is there.

What will happen is the defender will either wise up and start running into the illegal screen...likely since her coach will be pointing out that moving screen, to which you will say no contact, no foul...or will get frustrated and start blowing up the screener or start hand fighting around it.

I like this approach - thanks!

Texas Aggie Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:16pm

I've always thought of it as an "improperly" set screen if it doesn't conform to the rules but there is no contact. Use that if you want, but it may be thinking too much about it.

Simple explanation: "if there's no contact, there's no infraction coach. We'll play on." They may respond to this negatively, but you've given your explanation.

Mark Padgett Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:19am

One I've used is "Coach, I don't know what the hand signal is for no contact." ;)

mplagrow Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:43pm

Is it just me, or do the fans seem to be able to spot those elusive "illegal screens" much more quickly than we do? Maybe I should start calling the game from the stands.

Back In The Saddle Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mplagrow
Is it just me, or do the fans seem to be able to spot those elusive "illegal screens" much more quickly than we do? Maybe I should start calling the game from the stands.

Travels too.

grunewar Wed Jul 04, 2007 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
One I've used is "Coach, I don't know what the hand signal is for no contact." ;)

Mark, that's my approach.

Coach, "Ref, that's a moving screen!"

Me, "Coach, what's the hand and arm signal for a moving screen?"

Coach: :confused:

Me: :p

SmokeEater Wed Jul 04, 2007 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mplagrow

Best place to Officiate or scorekeep is in the stands...... just ask any one of the screamers.

Mark Padgett Wed Jul 04, 2007 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Best place to Officiate or scorekeep is in the stands...... just ask any one of the screamers.

I've always wanted to call a game from one of those volleyball chairs set up at mid-court. That would be cool. :cool:

refnrev Wed Jul 04, 2007 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
No, you can't!
There is no foul without contact. Never. Period.

Juulie,
You have to learn to stop holding back... go ahead and express yourself... but you might have made a little mistake with this answer.

SmokeEater Thu Jul 05, 2007 07:28am

Quote:

I've always wanted to call a game from one of those volleyball chairs set up at mid-court. That would be cool. :cool:

27 years ago when I was a wee lad starting out, my mentor told me he would stand at half court where he could see everything on the court. My job was to run baseline to baseline. That was the longest game ever....:eek:

lrpalmer3 Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:48am

Quote:

I've never thought about that, but I would LOVE it. We could have line judges like they have in tennis and volleyball. I think we're onto something.

Back In The Saddle Thu Jul 05, 2007 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater

We did a pilot program of this in my area about 10 years ago. It turns out to be more true than you realize. The stats they gathered showed conclusively that the official in the stands more better and more consistent calls. The down side was that he was constantly spilling his drink or throwing his hot dogs on the people around him while signalling. :D