The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Successive time outs are allowed except after the expiration of playing time for the fourth quarter or any extra period. (5-12-3)
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 01:24am

What an interesting question and a situation I hope I never encounter. Rule 4-42-2 states that a successive time out is one which is granted to either team before the clock is started following the previous time out. Rule 5-12-1 last sentence states that unused time-outs accumulate and may be used at any time. Rule 5-12-3 clarifies that a little bit by stating that successive time outs shall not be granted after the expiration of playing time for the fourth quarter or any extra period. Case book 5-11-3A in the ruling states that successive time outs may be granted in all situations except after time has expired in the fourth quarter or any extra period. I found nothing except time expiring in the fourth quarter or any extra period that would prevent a coach from using all of his time outs in a row if he/she wanted to. I guess if you believe that the coach is doing this purposely in order to turn the game into "an actionless contest", I guess you could warn him/her by saying that they are violating Rule 10-1-5 but you better be absolutely sure that he/she is not coaching in the huddle during the timeouts. We discussed this at a Board meeting once and there were some in our Board that felt strongly that only one successive time-out could be charged. Others felt that if a coach was stupid enough to burn all of the timeouts at once, let 'em. I'll be very interested to see if any one here comes up with something else but I couldn't find it!!!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by walt on 02-02-2000 12:24 PM
We discussed this at a Board meeting once and there were some in our Board that felt strongly that only one successive time-out could be charged. Others felt that if a coach was stupid enough to burn all of the timeouts at once, let 'em

All the quotes you mentioned support what the "others" felt: let him burn all the time-outs available if that's what he wants to do. Not really appropriate to warn the coach, though, about making the game into an "actionless contest." He's entitled by rule to the successive TO's, so we just gotta sigh, grant them, and think about what we want to do after the game is finally over (well, OK, maybe we better think about who's ball, where is the throw-in spot, and the like).
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to kevin
I was working a B-Team game the other night and the visiting team was getting waxed. The coach asked for a timeout which I gave him. After the first horn he asks for another timeout which I gave him. As I was waiting for the 2nd timeout to end I was hoping he didn't ask for a 3rd in a row because I wasn't sure on the ruling. Can a coach ask for all his/her timeouts in a row? I would appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.