The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Suppose...

Canadian coaches (in my area) being who they are, this has come up a few times within our association, with widely varying accounts.

What if anything does an official do if his day job is used as ammunition by a coach?

For example, "I'd hate to live in the building YOU manage!"
"You said you were a teacher? I pity your students."
"I hope you're a better loss adjuster than referee!"

Fortunately nobody knows what I do by day so I have yet to become a target on this range, but other officials react so differently. Some laugh, some ignore it, some get really steamed. Our association has stressed that context is everything and that they can't offer a rule-of-thumb response to this kind of talk. I myself disagree, I think it's a clear-cut personal attack. My question for everyone is how it should be handled... should there be warnings first? An automatic T? An automatic ejection? Whaddaya say?
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

If they're saying it seriously, then I take it the same as seriously saying "you suck" or "you're a terrible ref." Not guaranteed, but I'm more likely than not to go with the T.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that context is everything. And all of us have varying thickness to our skin. Hard to give a blanket punishment for a particular type of statement without taking context into perspective.

On a similar note, in the big girls varsity invitational here last weekend, I was watching the game after mine and it was a team from another state playing our current state champs, a local team. I was sitting near the bench of the team from out of state. The coach was very animated, mostly coaching, sometimes chipping a little at the calls. He got irritated at one point with a call and the non-calling official was on his way to the trail position opposite his bench for free throws and the coach called the non-calling guy over to complain quietly. Evidently he didn't like the response he got, so as the non-calling official was walking away to his spot, the coach says (loud enough for the crowd on his side of the bench to hear) "which one of them is your daughter?". I would have whacked him right there, but this guy gave him the stop sign and said "that's enough, coach".
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 12:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Nothing is automatic in my mind. But when a coach starts off with the words "YOU" or used the words "YOU" in a sentence, they are really treading on a level they might not be able to return from. The other words associated with “YOU” better be kind words like “You are the best officiating crew we have seen this year” if they want to avoid drawing the T sign.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I have been told that when coaches verbally attack the referees, then it is a Technical Foul.
Examples: "That call stinks!" No response
"Ref, you stink!" Technical
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 12:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Hey - at least I have a real job!
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kraine27 Send a message via MSN to kraine27 Send a message via Yahoo to kraine27
IMO, any comment made that personally attacks an official (me or my partners for that matter) needs to be penalized. In this case, I believe a "T" is very warranted. Again, IMO, personal attacks should not be allowed.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 04:31pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I never comment on the stupid plays that coaches run, let alone bring into the mix what they do to put food on their table.

If they bring into the mix what I do for a living, they are, imo, making a personal reference that has no relevance to the situation at hand. I would have a short leash (sp?) about such commentary.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

"Where did you get your patch!?"
"Did you get your patch at K-mart?"

I've heard fans yell these before, however, I don't recall this coming from any coaches. I did once have a coach say (in a calm non-threatening tone) that he feels sorry for my students. I just told him my students love me and left it at that as we were in transition. Although you should start each game with a new slate, I haven't had any problems with this coach in previous games.

Personal attacks (on you or your crew) should get the T for the most part IMO. Without tone and content knowledge I would hate to put a 100% guarantee on that.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm with Dexter. If the coach says it as a joke, in conversation before the game or something, that's one thing. If it's during the game, I can't imagine the circumstances where it wouldn't be a T.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck
Canadian coaches (in my area) being who they are, this has come up a few times within our association, with widely varying accounts.

What if anything does an official do if his day job is used as ammunition by a coach?

For example, "I'd hate to live in the building YOU manage!"
"You said you were a teacher? I pity your students."
"I hope you're a better loss adjuster than referee!"

Fortunately nobody knows what I do by day so I have yet to become a target on this range, but other officials react so differently. Some laugh, some ignore it, some get really steamed. Our association has stressed that context is everything and that they can't offer a rule-of-thumb response to this kind of talk. I myself disagree, I think it's a clear-cut personal attack. My question for everyone is how it should be handled... should there be warnings first? An automatic T? An automatic ejection? Whaddaya say?
As I read your post, my first impression would be to give a T. Those comments have nothing to do with coaching and everything to do with being a "dig" into you. Simply put, "Homey don't play that game." I will concede that there might be circumstances I might ignore it, but as Rut said, once they use the word "You" in a sentence, they are treading on thin ice.