The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Angry

Ok, I had the absolute most bizarre game of my life last night. Boys JV.

In a nut shell, partner calls intentional with ~10 seconds to go by B's bench (B was behind by enough they weren't going to win). As he is reporting it, the guys all get puffy chests and I rush in to keep the testosterone in check. As I am there B's coach goes charging down the sideline after my partner, so I whack him (gotta have your partners back). We shot the Int. then he calls a TO, then we shoot the T's. As I am administering the throw in, there is a B player "guarding" me out of bounds. This continues while we are on the floor, and it is happening to my partner as well. About when I realized it wasn't a "trick" play to confuse the other team, but he was showing us up, time ran out. Have any of you ever seen this? Who would we have penalized if there was more time, the coach or the two players?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Since it was obviously an organized effort, it had to come from the coach. Pop him again and send him packing.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Even though you didn't have enough time to give the coach his second T, send a letter to the state as if you had.

(I don't mean lie and say you gave him a second T, just explain that there was unsportsmanlike conduct and there wasn't a chance to penalize in / during the game.)
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
(I don't mean lie and say you gave him a second T, just explain that there was unsportsmanlike conduct and there wasn't a chance to penalize in / during the game.)

BTW, what do you mean, Brian, that the players were guarding you?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Give the coach another T. You might want to give the players that were "guarding" you flagrant T's as well. It doesn't matter if time ran out because your jurisdiction doesn't end until you leave the visual confines of the floor. You wouldn't even have to shoot the free throws because they would have no bearing on the outcome of the game. Here in Oregon, the ejected coach and players will have to sit out the next game too.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2001, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

BTW, what do you mean, Brian, that the players were guarding you?
They were standing no farther than a 1/2 inch in front of us, making no contact, but putting both hands in front of out faces over our eyes. Think about when a player give up the dribble and his defender collapsed on him. Like I said very bizzare.

Even though the game was over, I would have a very hard time justifying running the coach, and two players when the outcome was already decided. I have asked our commish for a rules interp/guidance on the issue. I'll let you know what he says.

PS- Our game/ejection reports have a spot for good or bad sportsmanship. The letter is already in the mail to both the state and principal.

Old Mon Dec 31, 2001, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Brian,

You said that the player was guarding you out of bounds. Does that mean he was standing out of bounds? If he was out of bounds while you were administering the throw in then I believe that is a T. I don't have my rules book handy but I believe it says something about all the players returning to the court at the same time. I'll check the rules later and get back to you on that. Even if you were out of bounds and the player wasn't, the way you describe the player as being no farther than 1/2 inch from you it would have to be a delay warning for violating the plane at the very least.

I would probably handle it the way I described in my previous post. Let them have their 10 seconds of fun. When the final horn goes off, blow your whistle and whack everyone involved with flagrant T's. Report it to the scorer's table and get out of there. Fill out your ejection reports and let the state people handle it from there.

[Edited by daves on Dec 31st, 2001 at 08:00 AM]
Old Mon Dec 31, 2001, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

When I was on the floor he was that close, when I was out of bounds he ws observing the plane. Trust me, if he would have reached over, I would have given him the delay.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2001, 09:44am
In Memoriam

Brian,
That is horrible! I feel your pain.
I agree with Bob J. in writing the letter to the State showing the cause of concern.
mick