The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

I have a question I haven't found an answer to in the rulebooks.
During the administration of a technical free throw all the players(both teams) must stay behind the division line of the front court of the team shooting the free throws.
Is the coach whose team is in the backcourt in this situation allowed to coach his kids as the coach whose team is not allowed in front of him not able to coach seems a bit unfair.
Comments
Rule book casebook citations encouraged

[Edited by MOFFICIAL on Dec 29th, 2001 at 05:55 PM]
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 07:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
I have a question I haven't found an answer to in the rulebooks.
During the administration of a technical free throw all the players(both teams) must stay behind the division line of the front court of the team shooting the free throws.
Is the coach whose team is in the backcourt in this situation allowed to coach his kids as the coach whose team is not allowed in front of him not able to coach seems a bit unfair.
Comments
Rule book casebook citations encouraged

[Edited by MOFFICIAL on Dec 29th, 2001 at 05:55 PM]
Players don't have to stay behind the division line.They must stay anywhere behind the free throw line extended and behind the 3-point line.Try R8-1-2 & 8-1-4.Both teams can be at their benches.Both coaches can legally talk to their players at their benches.The only restriction is that the team closest to the FT has to follow 8-1-4.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 08:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

JR is "spot on" as they say in England (I've been watching old Beatles movies over the holidays). It is one of those basketball myths that teams must be behind the division line during technical foul (or intentional foul, or any time players are not allowed on the lane, such as free throws taken after the horn) free throws.

Yet, I have seen veteran referees insist this is "a rule somewhere." It isn't. Teams have only the same restrictions where they must stand at this time as any player has who is not on the free throw lane.

BTW - I apologize for the goofy sentence structure in the first paragraph.