The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

The pregame is probably one of the most important tools at the officials disposal. The question is how long do you think a pregame should last? is it any different for someone you work with on a regular basis? with a new guy? playoff, or state tourney game?
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Talkinhoopsy'all
The pregame is probably one of the most important tools at the officials disposal. The question is how long do you think a pregame should last? is it any different for someone you work with on a regular basis? with a new guy? playoff, or state tourney game?
If I am working with a new partner, I like to have a thorough (10-15 min.) pregame. Otherwise, I rarely go more than 7-8 minutes, but we cover the main points.

BTW, I know it wasn't necessary to use the quotes, but I just learned how to do this and it is neat. Just like a Christmas toy.
Old Tue Jan 01, 2002, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Pregames are different depending on the partner(s) involved. If it is someone that I am working my fifth game of the season with, it may be something like. Have you had these teams yet? If it is with a newbie I am doing a 10 to 15 minute pregame. I want him to know I can be communicated with at any time. I want him as comfortible as I possibly can on the court.

There are occasions where we are driving to a game. This is different. We are talking about basketball most of the trip. Once we get past FOR(Family, Occuppation, Recreation). We may talk about the game last week he had or the game I had. All kinds of strange situations that we have encounted and how to deal with it. We may go into complete detail philosophy of officiating on the trip. At the site we will breifly discuss mechanics and we are ready to go.