The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 28, 2001, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

This is a mechanic question that applies to both 2 and 3 man teams. In BC we use NCAA Men's rules and mechanics for both 2& 3 man crews. ( High school & University/College) The Question is:
Which official has PRIMARY responsibility for beckoning in substitutions?
a. The official about to put the ball into play; or
b. The offside official(s) ?
We have had some problems with offside officials bringing in subs just after the ball goes into play. Years ago we were all taught that the administering official was always responsible for subs before he/she put the ball into play. Has this changed?
Pistol
Old Fri Dec 28, 2001, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
3 person

Pete,

We allow the official closest to the division line WITHOUT the ball to bring in the subs. This would mean that on free throws the T would bring them in. On front court inbound situations where the ball is being put in play by the L, the T would then bring them in.

If the T is administering the throw in, then the C will bring the sub(s) in.

In transistion, the T becoming new L can recognize the subs and then pass them off to the C. This allows the new L to get on down the floor to his place on the floor.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2001, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of substitution "mechanics"

Not sure if this is a local thing, but I was introduced to the use of a "double blast" (TWEET, break, TWEET) as a signal that substitutions are coming on the court.

Are there flaws to this practice that I am not considering?
Old Fri Dec 28, 2001, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I forgot to add that the problem generally occurs when the L is putting the ball into play during free throws. He/ She should at least look over to the bench before tossing the bounce pass to the free thrower. It's all a lack of communication between everyone concerned I guess. If the minor official would always signal the horn on subs the problem would be alleviated however we all know that in the High School games we don't always get the experienced minor official crews.
I was originally taught that the administering official must always look over to the bench just prior to putting the ball into play just in case late subs or a TO had to be dealt with. It seems to me that that was, and still should be,a preferred mechanic.BTW this technique was the approved mechanic taught by IAABO for many years. I would be very interested when they changed.
Thanks for the input so far!!!
YIBB
Pistol
Old Fri Dec 28, 2001, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Around here we use the trail mostly, However as a personal opinion I like the person with the ball to bring in the subs. There is no excuse at tha point about being confused
Old Fri Dec 28, 2001, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Kelvin, would that ref looked funny if he/she holds the ball & perform the sub-mechanic & tweet at the same time? I like the idea of no confusion if we do it your way? Thanks Kelvin.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

In Tennessee, we are having the administering official bring in the subs unles you are already at the table reporting a foul, and then that official can bring in the subs. It works OK on some games depending on if the official remembers. Usually if I am table side on 3 person or trail in 2 person and not administering the throw in I ask my partner if they want them to come in. We are also trying to strictly enforce making the subs be at the "X" on the dead ball before bringing them in. The administering official is supposed to "tweet", and beckon in the subs. Any sub at the table when the whistle is blown is allowed in, anyone not there has to wait to the next dead ball. This has helped in getting the ball back in play and the coaches are getting used to it now. The only thing I don't like is if I call a violation and then have to administer the throw in, I have to grab my whistle and put it back in my mouth because I am in the habit of spitting it out right away.