The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   setting the arrow (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/35359-setting-arrow.html)

oc Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:15am

setting the arrow

NFHS 4-3-3

"The ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower..." Which thrower:
A. The free thrower
B. The thrower in (from the sideline)

Jurassic Referee Tue Jun 05, 2007 01:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc
NFHS 4-3-3

A. The free thrower

It can <b>only</b> be the "thrower" for "throw-ins". See NFHS 4-42-1for terminology.

Nevadaref Tue Jun 05, 2007 01:53am

The NFHS books use "thrower" to mean either a free thrower or a player making a throw-in and you have to know from context which is appropriate.

By "thrower" in 4-3-3 the NFHS means the player making the throw-in. The initial setting of the arrow when a "free thrower" is involved is handed the ball is covered by 4-3-2.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jun 05, 2007 05:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The NFHS books use "thrower" to mean either a free thrower or a player making a throw-in and you have to know from context which is appropriate.

You're completely wrong. NFHS rule 4-42-1 specifically defines a "thrower", and there's absolutely no mention of a "free thrower" in that definition. A "thrower" and a "free thrower" are completely different animals, and are defined as such in the NFHS rule book.

<b><u>RULE 4-42-1:</u></b> <i>The <b>THROWER</b> is the player who attempts a <b>THROW-IN</b>.</i>

Also see NFHS rules 6-1-2(b) and 6-1-2(c). Those rules differentiate between a "thrower" and a "free thrower" also.

<b><u>Rule 6-1-2b:</u></b> <i>The ball becomes live when on a <b>THROW-IN</b>, it is at the disposal of the <b>THROWER</b>.</i>

<b><u>Rule 6-1-2c:</u></b> <i>The ball becomes live when on a <b>FREE THROW</b>, it is at the disposal of the <b>FREE THROWER</b>.</i>

BktBallRef Tue Jun 05, 2007 07:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref

Nope. :eek:

See above. :)

IREFU2 Tue Jun 05, 2007 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc
NFHS 4-3-3

A. The free thrower

Great article in Referee Mag this month, read it.

Damian Tue Jun 05, 2007 01:36pm

So, the arrow is set when it is at the disposal or either ... Right?

It you are shooting and the ball becomes live when at the free thrower. that would be when the arrow is set. If it is a throw in the ball becomes live when the ball is at the disposal of the thrower, so that is when the arrow is set. Of course a whole lot of things can happen before either of these which would change the initial setting of the arrow.

BktBallRef Tue Jun 05, 2007 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian
It you are shooting and the ball becomes live when at the free thrower. that would be when the arrow is set.

No, not always. See 4--3-2.

Scrapper1 Tue Jun 05, 2007 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian
It you are shooting and the ball becomes live when at the free thrower. that would be when the arrow is set.

If you line up players for the rebound, then set the arrow when the ball is at the disposal of the free thrower.

If you don't line up players for the rebound, then set the arrow when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder after the free throws.

Nevadaref Tue Jun 05, 2007 06:50pm

Tony and JR are correct on the definitions. It just seems to me that the NFHS is not always precise in what it writes, so if there are situations in the books which merely say "thrower" and not "free thrower", the meaning would still be clear from the context.

That's all that I'm saying.

oc Tue Jun 05, 2007 06:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
It can <b>only</b> be the "thrower" for "throw-ins". See NFHS 4-42-1for terminology.

Thank you.