LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Great Debate

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
Quote:
Remember - your job (believe it or not) is to make sure the best team wins. I've explained this philosophy before.
my job is not to make sure the best team win, my job is to make the playing court fair/even because the best team does not always win. if the best team always won why do we need tournaments or even a season, we would just award the championship trophy to duke/L.A. right now. read this last sentence with a grain of salt.(it is kinda sarcastic) [/B]
MARK!!!!!! Get Busy and Fill Him In, QUICK!!!!
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Great Debate

[QUOTE]Originally posted by crew
Quote:
my job is not to make sure the best team wins, my job is to make the playing court fair/even because the best team does not always win.
Believe it or not, I agree completely with Tony on this one. Call it fair for both teams, and be unconcerned with which team is "better". Sometimes a team just gets lucky, or they get hot, or everybody on the better team has a bad night at the same time (remember the Nebraska defense vs. Colorado?).

Forget about who's "better" and call a fair game.

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

If you have a blarge-type call at A's basket, and you know it's a PC, you should call the PC. When B goes down the floor, and you have another blarge at B's basket, it may be tough, but if you know it is a block, call the block on A.

BTW, I believe the "better team" philosophy does not refer to the favorite/underdog, it refers to the fact that the team which plays better for 24/32/40/48 minutes (or more, if you have [shudders] o***time) should be the one that wins.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

"Better team wins" The better team for this game will win if we call a good, fair game. the classic case is when you have a better team (team A) plays good sound ball and team B plays a rough illegal game i.e. giving the team B an advantage. If we don't take care of business then the better team this game may not win.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

The Great Debate

I guess there is no such thing as a tough 50/50 block charge play. Watch tape you'll see that not every block charge play is easy to call. Some are very clear, defender slides over or is late getting there. Others, offensive player clearly blows the defender over with chest to chest contact/blows. Watch tape!!!

As far as balance the floor goes, I do not believe it make up calls. Balance the floor is terminology in the officiating world, that means if we're calling it one way here, call it that same way at the other end. Same thing as a word called consistency. If we have a block at this end, an official must remember this and if the opportunity arises get a block at the other end. Obviously, not every play is identical. If it were, the game would be easy to officiate. However, once an official sees enough plays in his lifetime, one's judgment should get better and understand what tough 50/50 block/charge plays are all about as it relates to the grand scheme of a particular game.

Lastly, I do not base my calls of the what the fans think. I don't referee to the crowd. Also, I am there as the judge and jury of a game and to apply the rules and philosophies as evenly as possible. The best team doesn't always win. One can learn this by playing sports themselves. If this were the case, why even play the games, just hand the super bowl trophy to the best team that writers and fans think it should be. There is something called an upset in sports. (see NCAA tournament in March and NBA playoffs in May/June). Our job is not to make sure the best team wins, but to give both teams the opportunity to win by being in good position to make quality calls and to keep the integrity of the game intact.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have been taught thru my 4 years that the only other best friends out there other than your partners is/are a late or no whistle. However, you had better be 110% sure when you put a whistle on it that you: 1) Clearly saw it and 2) Can clearly explain it.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

The Great Debate

A supervisor the other day at a college tournament I was officiating at was clear in his evaluation of the game of a crew I was watching, that he wants whistles on all crashes as it relates to block/charge plays to the basket. Plus, I believe coaches are the ones who ask supervisors about these plays and wish some kind of decision was made either way , block or charge.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Initial Legal Guarding Position (ILGP) established? As it happened at the speed that I am assuming it did would this be one of the primary factors either you or your partners are looking for?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

After reading all these posts, most from officials with far more experience than I, it is crystal clear that most assignors want a call on every collision. It also seems clear that very few of us are comfortable blowing whistles on plays that we didn't see from start to finish. It seems to me that what the assignors are saying is that they are looking for officials who are rarely out of position, referee the defense, and are consistant when they have to blow the whistle. So, the answer to this question is bust your butt to get into position, referee the defense, and be consistant.

[Edited by Tom Cook on Jan 3rd, 2002 at 06:41 PM]
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

The Great Debate

TomCook I totally, totally agree with your last post!!! Very good precise explanation to the situation. Bust your butt, be in position at all times and REFEREE THE DEFENSE!!
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: The Great Debate

Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
TomCook I totally, totally agree with your last post!!! Very good precise explanation to the situation. Bust your butt, be in position at all times and REFEREE THE DEFENSE!!
tom, bbarn,
i concur.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Nuff Said!!!
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: The Great Debate

Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
Exactly correct. This is similar to my philosophy on how to make sure I get all my correctable error situations correct. . . DON'T MAKE ANY CORRECTABLE ERRORS.

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Even better would be "don't make any errors, no matter the type."

(Sorry; I forgot the requisite smiley.)

[Edited by Mark Dexter on Jan 4th, 2002 at 12:18 PM]
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Even better would be don't make any errors, no matter the type.
True, but that's not really realistic. So my point was just to make sure that we pay attention at those crucial points (who's the FT shooter? how many shots?, etc.) so that we never have to invoke 2-10.

Chuck