Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
M&M Guy??????
No!!! I desire not to say the name. It's would ruin my month if I did.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:08pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
The clinician could have stepped in and asked a question. You don't have to correct the problem for them but you could steer them in the right direction in hopes that they will pick it up on their own. This is still training you know. I don't think letting things play out incorrectly really helps them to learn and then chewing them out after the fact does no one any good.

I think you missed a perfect opportunity to teach how to step up and ask a respectable question of your partner/s, and learn how to correct potential problems, dealing with the coaches, etc. As the clinician, I'm going to make them go explain their actions to both coaches. Then step back and see how they handle it.

Now, they are still in the game, still in the hunt to make the list. You let it play out incorrectly and you got 3 devastated officials in your camp who probably won't speak to each other again, have low self esteem, and they know they're not going to get pick up. Not the message you won't to send out in a camp, imho.
Oh for God's sake...no one was devastated, no one hates anybody...30 min. after that game was over all 4 of us were sitting in the hospitality room eating fried chicken together and laughing our a$$es off with each other. I could have done this, I could have done that...I did what the camp director asked his clinicians to do - stay out of it and let them handle things. And if you knew me at all (rainmaker can back me up on this) you would know that any chewing out I ever do is extremely light-hearted - I'm just not a yeller.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Maybe it also depends on the type of camp, and the teams involved, as to how much a clinician inserts themselves into the situation.
I can not agree more. If it is near-rookies, I think the clinicians would/should be more involved....teaching interactively. If it is a tryout/certification camp with supposed veterans vying for postseason eligibility, you need officials to make it on thier abilities....all on thier own....with critique after it's done. No on is going to be there to guide them in the games they're trying to qualify for.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Oh for God's sake...no one was devastated, no one hates anybody...30 min. after that game was over all 4 of us were sitting in the hospitality room eating fried chicken together and laughing our a$$es off with each other. I could have done this, I could have done that...I did what the camp director asked his clinicians to do - stay out of it and let them handle things. And if you knew me at all (rainmaker can back me up on this) you would know that any chewing out I ever do is extremely light-hearted - I'm just not a yeller.
Well, no, you're not a yeller, DJ, but I wouldn't say you're light-hearted, either. Or perhaps you've never chewed me out. If that's the case, I hope next time you won't go so easy on me -- I can't take it! I'd rather get the light-hearted chewing.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Almost correct. The shooter -- A2 -- would not have received the free throw. The player who got fouled -- A3, in this case -- would get the chance to complete the 3-point play.
Whoops. You're correct. Thanks for fixing that.