The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I coach a 10u basketball team. My PG who received two violations for hesitation dribble. I asked the ref to explain to me what he was seeing. He told me there is a rule that if the ball pauses momentarily then it is up to the decression of the ref to make this call. I then asked was this rule in reference to a player possibly palming the ball. He said yes it was. Then I asked, was it in his decression that a 10 y/o was palming the ball. At no time was his hand never on top of the ball. Just would like to get some feedback from other refs on how they may have ruled that.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

gabel

Palming!? In a 10u game?!?! You have to be kidding me! I have never seen that!
As a point of reference, the case book has a play that resembles what you describe. Maybe someone else can give a better example but here is my 2cents.

Case book play 4.15.4 SITUATION A: As dribbler A1 attempts to change ditections to avoid contact with guard B1, he/she allows the ball to come to rest in one hand in bringing the ball from the right to the left side of the body. A1 pushes the ball to the floor in an attempt to continue the dribble. RULING: When A1 palmed/carried the ball, the dribbled ended and when he/she pushed the ball to the floor a violation occured.

Note that in this play the hand could still be located relatively on top of the ball.

A palming violation occurs anytime the ball "comes to rest" durring a dribble and then the player attempts to continue the dribble. In fact, last year's rule book had palming as a point of emphasis and clearly stated that the palm need not be pointing skyward for this violation to occur. It went on to say that this was esspecially a problem with the "hesitation dribble".

Now lets see what others will say. If I remember correctly, Rainmaker has had a few interesting posts on palming the ball.

Mike
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Burns
gabel

Palming!? In a 10u game?!?! You have to be kidding me! I have never seen that!

It went on to say that this was esspecially a problem with the "hesitation dribble".

Now lets see what others will say. If I remember correctly, Rainmaker has had a few interesting posts on palming the ball.

Mike
One variation I see in the younger age groups is the momentarily putting of the ball on the hip when a change in direction is made. Then it is followed by the dumb look of “what did I do wrong?”

Depending - I call this a travel or a double dribble but the point is the same.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Mike. What I'm understanding is that the hesitation in itself is a violation. The player doesn't have to actually palm the ball. Just to note. I didn't make it a big deal with the offical. I asked after the game, just to get information, in order to help my kids.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

to extend on this situation a bit. players at higher levels that have the ability to palm the ball(hold the ball with one hand) they use that method of throwing the defender on his heels, and driving around uncontested. this is a very difficult play to pick up. when we are taught to ref the D the offensive player is a bit less observed for rule infractions, most dont know this but those who do have a slight advantage.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 04:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I guess since Mike referenced my post on palming (which was some time ago) I should chime in here. I'm a little late, since I have been busy playing Santa.

The palming I see most often which doesn't have the hand underneath, is when the ball is being pushed sideways, or foreward. If the motion is fast enough, the hand can be at about 11 o'clock, so to speak, and still gain a substantial advantage. The easiest way to judge this is if the ball isn't spinning, but I've seen it happen (although I don't always call it) even with the ball spinning. The crossover dribble is where it's the easiest for the PG to do this without realizing it. The other place it's easy to catch is in the little hesitation on a hard drive. If these are only momentary, I don't usually call them, but if there's any change of direction, it's an easy call. Explaining it isn't so easy.

If you wanted to study this sometime, sit in the stands with a physics teacher, and discuss each little questionable play. It could be quite enlightening.!!