The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 29, 2000, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

I have a question about a game that is close and the players are lining up for a free throw. The score has flipped back and forth all game. Black is shooting the second free throw and a player from black moves his right foot before the ball hits the ring and his foot is just touching the line. Do you call a lane violation? The movement is unnoticeable because it was just a slight movement.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2000, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Thumbs down

I wouldn't stop the flow of the game for this. If there is no advantage gained, play on.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2000, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
You can't call in the 4th quarter what you didn't call in the 1st quarter. If you want to enforce lane violations, you have got to set your precedent early in the game. If not, you live with your leniency. Of course, you have to call the obvious ones, regardless of where you are in the game, but if it was as you stated in your posting, un-noticable, keep playing. I still use phrases like "let it get the rim guys" or "don't be early" when I'm lead administering the 2nd of a 1-1 or a 2 shot foul. Preventative officiating--even in the 4th quarter!
Old Mon Jan 31, 2000, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

This is a loaded question. Would you not call oob if the foot was just barely touching the line? Yes this gets called. There are some things that allow no judgement, and lane violations are one of them. It is either touching the line before the ball hits the rim or it isnt. Sorry if I sound harsh on this, but the answer was really in the question.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2000, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Ignore the violation, unless the opposing team brings it to your attention prior to the shot ending.

You cannot ignore it if others see it.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by Brian on 01-31-2000 05:52 PM

There are some things that allow no judgement, and lane violations are one of them. It is either touching the line before the ball hits the rim or it isnt.

There are many things that DO allow some judgment and discretion, and lane violations ARE among them. Whether leaving on the release as in NCAA or "on the rim" as in high school, players are generally trying to stretch the envelope in order to get in rebounding position as quickly as possible. There are many borderline violations in this situation that are best left ignored unless a player clearly gains an unintended advantage. The toe on the line just before the ball hits the rim falls into this category--hardly an advantage for the player, and easily ignored at the official's discretion. Many rules were written with a certain intent in mind, usually to prevent a player from gaining an unintended advantage. Thus, they can't always be interpreted and enforced literally, as with this toe-on-the-line situation. Three-seconds in the lane is a similar situation, one that leaves room for judgment and discretion. Plus, the game circumstances should be in one's mind--A blowout? Ignore the minor violation on the free-throw shot. A 6th grade game? Give 'em 4-5 seconds in the lane before calling it. Being too literalistic can make for a very long and boring game.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
I echo todd's response. Did this position let the player gain a rebounding advantage? I think not. Ignore and play on UNLESS noticed by a coach and/or player.