The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Hi all, I remember reading in a previous post that if a technical foul is called, then any player (or substitute) may attempt the free throws, and two players can attempt one free throw each (assuming it is 2 shots).

Is this correct? If so, can you please quote which rules you are refering to. I have been looking through my FIBA rule book, and this situation is NOT permitted under these rules. See relevant Articles below.

The reason I ask, is that I am trying to slowly build a list of major/interesting differences between FIBA and NFHS/NCAA/NBA rules. Anyway, here are my refrences:

57.3 When a technical foul is called, the free throws may be attempted by any player of the opposing team as designated by the captain.

The use of "throws" in the plural, and "player" in the singular implies to me that one player must attempt all free throws.

13.1 Definition
A team member is a player when he is on the playing court and is entitled to play.

Here "player" is clearly defined. The previous rule (57.3) states that any player may attempt a free throw. Not any substitute.

Can anyone state the rules that expressly permit different free throw shooters in NFHS or NCAA?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Yes Oz, any player or substitute may attempt the throws under NFHS rules.

Rule 8-3: The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attemmpted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).

Note the plural in the last sentence. In fact I had a sitch about a month ago where a player got a "T" the coach came unglued, he got a "T", so he started using profanity, he got another "T" and was ejected. Now team B gets to shoot 6 throws and could be attempted by 6 different players.

I would be interested in your list of differences between FEEBLE and NFHS/NCAA rules.

Mike

Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Mike.

I'll be sure to post a link to my list once it's up nd running - it will mean some pretty length trolling through old posts here for starters.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

I can tell you right now that the most authoritative and comprehensive rule differences chart can be found here. The maintainer of the chart used to have NCAA but Ontario has since moved away from NCAA rules.

http://hamiltonboard.org/documents/3...ifferences.pdf
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 02:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

10 year old thread.