The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Sam Bowie

I know this was a long time ago, but this source says he missed two seasons and I have read and heard that he missed a lot of other time to constant leg injuries. So I am not sure what I said that was not true? Oh well it does not make that much difference to me. I just remember that Bowie had many health problems at Kentucky and it had been said that the Trail Blazers should have known Bowie was a bigger risk. But the Trail Blazers did have Drexler and even without picking Bowie Jordan might not have been a perfect fit.

Peace
FWIW, Wikipedia is not a very credible source.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
True. Anyone can edit Wikipedia.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 02:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
OK, then ESPN on "You Cannot Blame" show on ESPN Classic said that Bowie spent two seasons out with leg injuries and even said that when he did play he hardly played a complete season because of constant injuries. Whether it is a completely credible source or not, this was the issue with Bowie and many people looked at his college history as an indication of his problems he had in the NBA as it related to injury.

Peace
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
If they draft Oden instead of Kevin Durant, they will have once again screwed the pooch, IMHO.
This is more like choosing between Olajuwon and Jordan. Bowie wasn't all that good when he was healthy.

IMO, Oden is a once per generation talent. Durant is a wing. There are great wing players every year. You pays your nickel, you takes your choice.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Jordan is a wing. There are great wing players every year. You pays your nickel, you takes your choice.
Funny. That's probably what Portland said that year as well.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 03:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Jordan and the Bulls didn't start winning titles until the Celtics, 76ers, Lakers and Pistons finally began to wear thin.
I think that had more to do with Jordan's development than the decline of the other teams. Jordan and company beat some decent teams on their way to the top.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 03:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Durant is no different than a Kevin Garnett or Tracy McGrady and how many titles do these guys have? KG and McGrady have a hard time making the playoffs or getting past the 1st round.

Oden is going to be a great player or a player that will influence his team a lot more because he is dedicated to playing around the basket on both ends. Not to say Durant will not be a similar player. Durant averaged more blocks than Oden did during this past season. So it is possible that Durant will be one of the all time greats. Durant is a swing player and is more likely to be a shooter and a slashers. Oden's style of can benefit a team without being a dominate scorer. If Ben Wallace could score a little bit, the Bulls would have beat the Pistons. You can always find slashers with decent shooting ability. You cannot find true center players that actually want to be around the basket on both ends of the floor.

Peace
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Durant is no different than a Kevin Garnett or Tracy McGrady and how many titles do these guys have? KG and McGrady have a hard time making the playoffs or getting past the 1st round.

Peace
Yes, but how much of this is due to individual ability and how much is due to the organizations they belong to?
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Actually, I think Oden would be a good fit for Portland. I believe Durant is the better player, but he's not someone the Blazers need right now. LaMarcus Aldridge is the same type player and is already here and had a good rookie season...what Portland needs right now is a rebounder and defensive presence in the middle - that would be Oden, not Durant...
From a 1984 post, if the Internet existed back then:

"Actually, I think Bowie would be a good fit for Portland. I believe Jordan is the better player, but he's not someone the Blazers need right now. Clyde Drexler is the same type player and is already here and had a good rookie season...what Portland needs right now is a rebounder and defensive presence in the middle - that would be Bowie, not Jordan..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
While that is a popular point of view, we can never really know. Injuries are unpredictable and who know what would have happened if the picks were different. Bowie may have had different conditioning and training that may have helped avoided his injuries. Jordan may have become injured and never been the same. You just can't tell in this type of situation.

Bowie was a well respected college player that was expected to be a NBA star. Sure Jordan, by far, ended up the better player. But was Bowie the wrong pick? Only if you can see the future and tell who'll never overcome an injury.
Based on how history played out, we know that Jordan would have been the better pick.

Quote:
I know this was a long time ago, but this source says he missed two seasons and I have read and heard that he missed a lot of other time to constant leg injuries. So I am not sure what I said that was not true? Oh well it does not make that much difference to me. I just remember that Bowie had many health problems at Kentucky and it had been said that the Trail Blazers should have known Bowie was a bigger risk. But the Trail Blazers did have Drexler and even without picking Bowie Jordan might not have been a perfect fit.
Bowie played 34 games, 28 games, and 34 games in the three seasons he played. That's 96 games with an average of almost 29 minutes per game. So to say that he missed much of his career is not true.

Face it or not guys, Portland ****ed up.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed May 23, 2007 at 05:22pm.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 03:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yes, but how much of this is due to individual ability and how much is due to the organizations they belong to?
I will say it this way. Tracy McGrady has been on several teams and he cannot lift his team to the next level. The Bulls were terrible when Jordan got there but he lifted that team to a contender and shined even when he was out matched by a better team. KG can hardly make the playoffs each year. KG has had many players around him that should help the team and for some reason it just never happens. Great players should at least lift their teams into the playoffs and the second round.

Peace
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 03:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Bowie played 34 games, 28 games, sat out a season, and 34 games. That's 96 games with an average of almost 29 minutes per game. So to say that he missed much of his career is not true.

Face it or not guys, Portland ****ed up.
Bowie was at Kentucky for 5 years for a McDonald's All-American. This was a time when players of that caliber did not red shirt and still to this day players like that do not red shirt.

Peace
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sam Bowie

Peace
One of those two missed seasons was a red-shirt season. So, he played games in three seasons and sat out two.

Even with his problems, he's at near the top of a lot of several UK statistical catagories...even only playing 3 years.
  • Career scoring #27: ahead of Scott Padgett, Randolph Morriss Rex Chapman Jamaal Magloire, Antoine Walker, Derek Anderson.
  • Rebounds #8: Ahead of Magloire, Tayshaun Prince, Pat Riley, Scott Padgett, Randolph Morris, Walter McCarty
  • Blocked Shots #3: Ahead of Tayshaun Prince, Nazr Mohammed, Chuck Hayes, Randolph Morriss, Kenny Walker, Scott Padgett, Jamal Mashburn, Antoine Walker, Rex Champman
http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statist...Bowie_Sam.html
http://www.michaeljordansworld.com/college_stats.htm

He was 2nd Team All American in 81 as a sophomore and 84 as a senior (did not play in 82 and 83)

Hindsight is clear, he turned out to be a poor choice for the Blazers but looking at his numbers in college, he was a good pick. While he had some major injury trouble in college, perhaps the doctors all throught it was a 1 time problem.

If you were looking for a rebounding shot blocker, Bowie beat Jordan soundly...at the time... averaging almost 10 RPG and 2.3 Blocks per game versus Jordan's 5 rebounds and 0.7 blocks. If you were looking for a scorer or someone who could steal the ball, Jordan was the man. Jordan's assists were only marginally better than Bowie's.

They were simply differnet players...with similarly impressive college performances in differnet facets of the game. One went on to be the best player ever the other went on to a career of injuries....never having the opportunity to display what he could or couldn't do. I doubt he would have ever been as good as Jordan became...but that doesn't say anything about the quality of Portland's pick. Their choice at the time made sense given they already had a top scorer in Drexler.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 04:19pm

You draft what you need, you don't draft for potential. Bowie at the time was a very good intelligent pick for Portland and I would have selected him over Jordan with Clyde already on my team, come on!! That's a no-brainer. You going to built around Clyde, and what does he need, a rebounder and force underneath. Bowie was a gamble you had to take. In no-way do you pass on Oden. That would border line be a crime punishable by impeachment of the owner by the fans.

I recently saw a commercial with Reggie Bush who was talking about how great New Orleans was and how they embraced him there, etc. The punch line of the commercial was thanks for passing on me in the first round. I hope Portland doesn't make the same mistake. We have had some legitimate players coming out of the draft as of late.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
You draft what you need, you don't draft for potential. Bowie at the time was a very good intelligent pick for Portland and I would have selected him over Jordan with Clyde already on my team, come on!! That's a no-brainer. You going to built around Clyde, and what does he need, a rebounder and force underneath. Bowie was a gamble you had to take. In no-way do you pass on Oden. That would border line be a crime punishable by impeachment of the owner by the fans.
Those statements tell me all I need to know! If Old School disagrees with me, I lnow I'm right!!!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 05:15pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
From a 1984 post, if the Internet existed back then:

"Actually, I think Bowie would be a good fit for Portland. I believe Jordan is the better player, but he's not someone the Blazers need right now. Clyde Drexler is the same type player and is already here and had a good rookie season...what Portland needs right now is a rebounder and defensive presence in the middle - that would be Bowie, not Jordan..."

LOL...but you have to remember that I'm not a Blazers fan! Like I said, I WANT them to pick Oden so Seattle can take Durant!