The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Right, decent teams. None were ever some of the greatest in the history of the game. I doubt if the Bulls of the nineties could have beaten the best teams of the eighties. Too many Hall of Famers were on those teams. The Atlanta Hawks even had teams back then that could give the Bulls of Jordan fame all they could handle.
You're full of $h!t. The 96 Bulls were every bit as good as the 86 Celtics or the best Laker teams. You mention the Pistons. Realize that the Bulls were the second best team in the league both years the Pistons won the title. They carried Detroit deeper into a 7 game series than anyone else in those two years. They just had the misfortune of meeting the Pistons in the Eastern Conference and not in the Finals. Once they gained homecourt advantage by having a better record, they had no problem with the Pissons.

The Hawks? ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! The Hawks couldn't beat any 5 of us!!!!!!!!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
You're full of $h!t. The 96 Bulls were every bit as good as the 86 Celtics or the best Laker teams. You mention the Pistons. Realize that the Bulls were the second best team in the league both years the Pistons won the title. They carried Detroit deeper into a 7 game series than anyone else in those two years. They just had the misfortune of meeting the Pistons in the Eastern Conference and not in the Finals. Once they gained homecourt advantage by having a better record, they had no problem with the Pissons.

The Hawks? ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! The Hawks couldn't beat any 5 of us!!!!!!!!
Have you actually seen Chuck Elias shoot a basketball?

He has

Old Wed May 23, 2007, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Durant is no different than a Kevin Garnett or Tracy McGrady and how many titles do these guys have? KG and McGrady have a hard time making the playoffs or getting past the 1st round.
How many titles did the player produce? Is that your standard?

That's not a good argument for drafting Oden, the big guy who plays center, instead of the talented forward, Durant.

Why? Let me point out a big man named Patrick Ewing. Tremendous college player, excellent pro player, ZERO NBA titles.

BTW a parallel between Oden and Ewing is that both took their teams to the NCAA title game as freshman and lost.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 07:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
How many titles did the player produce? Is that your standard?

That's not a good argument for drafting Oden, the big guy who plays center, instead of the talented forward, Durant.
First of all I do not know that it is a "standard." I do know that when you draft players missing the playoffs all together cannot be the goal. And yes if they draft Oden over Durant or Durant over Oden, I would hope that trying to win a title is part of their objective. If it is not, then someone will not have a job. You do not need a high draft pick to not make the playoffs.

Quote:
Why? Let me point out a big man named Patrick Ewing. Tremendous college player, excellent pro player, ZERO NBA titles.

BTW a parallel between Oden and Ewing is that both took their teams to the NCAA title game as freshman and lost.
Once again I think you have a hard time understanding some basic concepts. The success of a player is not just titles, but at the very least getting a chance to win a title. Patrick Ewing was close many times to winning a title and even made the finals. If it was not for John Starks and his drought in Game 7, Ewing just might have won a title. McGrady has never gotten past the first round of the playoffs and KG has went years of not making the playoffs at all and has also struggled in the post season. There was even a time when KG could not get past the first round either but did get to the Western Conference finals and the following year miss the post season all together. I believe that Oden will likely change the dynamic of that team to the point they might be competing for a title if he stays healthy. Durant needs a point guard and likely another big man to even compete on a consistent basis. Oden will make a point guard better and will make other players around him because they will have a stop defender around the basket. Of course time will tell but I usually having a big man that is productive is more likely to make an average team into a Champion. Even the Bulls did not have a dominate center but they had one of the all time best clutch players on that team. Durant would have some big shoes to fill to do that on his own. So far KG and McGrady have not even come close and they play much more like Durant than Oden does. Remember who won the title last year? Oden may not be a dominate scorer like Shaq, but he is closer to having an affect on his team than Durant will based on what we have seen so far. Also remember who was in the NCAA Finals this year.

Peace
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 08:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Have you actually seen Chuck Elias shoot a basketball?
Sure have.....
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 08:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

That is so wrong.

Peace
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 09:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
That is so wrong.
Gee, not really. It was one of the reasons that Chuck switched to officiating from playing.....

It's true, it's true......
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Gee, not really. It was one of the reasons that Chuck switched to officiating from playing.....

It's true, it's true......
Yeahbut he's doesn't need height

Old Wed May 23, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Once again I think you have a hard time understanding some basic concepts.
No, that is you. You list two forwards who have never won the NBA title and conclude that therefore the center is the better draft choice because he is more likely to produce a championship for his team. However, when I name a center who is considered one of the all-time best, but never got a ring, you fail to see how that refutes your logic.

(Instead you meekly state that Ewing came close. Well so did Stockton and Malone.)

So obviously further examples are necessary.
Quote:
1. Remember who won the [NBA]title last year? ...
2. Also remember who was in the NCAA Finals this year.
For every example you can name, a counterexample can be cited. That means that your entire premise is faulty.

1. Remember who was eliminated in the first round this year?

2. Also remember who WON the NCAA Finals this year.

Incidently, Ewing's freshman year the Hoyas lost the title game to a team led by James Worthy. What position did he play? How many NBA titles did he go on to win?
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 11:01pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Sure have.....

Man, do you see that defense??? I am smothering Chuck there - he never had a chance against me!!
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 02:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Man, do you see that defense??? I am smothering Chuck there - he never had a chance against me!!
No fair though. You're waaaaaay taller than him. At least an inch.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ewing wanted to be Kevin Durant instead of being Bill Russell. He was in love with his jump shot and sometimes reluctant to go to the hole. Nevertheless the Knicks were a Charles Smith layup and a John Starks jump shot from two titles.

Clyde Drexler was not as good as Jordan, but the question is whether Drexler and Jordan would have been as good as Drexler and Bowie. At the time it wasn't all that clear, although I was not a big Bowie fan. I always think if a center is that good, they should be dominant. I never saw Bowie as dominant. I thought he was another Mychal Thompson or Kent Benson, great college players that would be journeyman pros.

Then again, no one knew Jordan would be that good. If he didn't come back from his injury his second year and Bowie did, you might be arguing the other way. Jordan became dominant by hard work and adding Scottie Pippin and Phil Jackson.

Ten years from now, people may be writing how stupid they were for not taking Yi or Wright or Belinelli or Tomic.

As for saying that players like Michael Jordan only come along once in a generation, you're giving him too much credit. At the time Jordan came along you also had Wilkins, Drexler and Bird, who were also wings, as well as Pippin a few years later. If Durant proves to be as good as any of these players, I'm sure whoever drafts him will be happy.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

I agree that the Bulls wouldn't have dominated in the 80's. What the 90's lacked was another team that had a leader with the "killer instinct" that Jordan had. What made the Lakers/Celtics rivalry was the fact that both Magic and Bird didn't just want to win, they had to win. Jordan never had to play a great player that had that intangible aspect in their prime.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 05:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I agree that the Bulls wouldn't have dominated in the 80's. What the 90's lacked was another team that had a leader with the "killer instinct" that Jordan had. What made the Lakers/Celtics rivalry was the fact that both Magic and Bird didn't just want to win, they had to win. Jordan never had to play a great player that had that intangible aspect in their prime.
I disagree. Shaq, Charles Barkely, Akin Olajuwon, David Robinson, Tim Duncun, Karl Malone, James Worthly, and even Alan Iverson to name a few. Let's not forget the star status Jordan acheived which benefited him a lot of calls in his favor, especially in his later championships. Utah was a call or two away from winning at least one of those series. I think Jordan got a way with a few but he still earned most of them.
Old Sun May 27, 2007, 10:40am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I disagree. Shaq, Charles Barkely, Akin Olajuwon, David Robinson, Tim Duncun, Karl Malone, James Worthly, and even Alan Iverson to name a few. Let's not forget the star status Jordan acheived which benefited him a lot of calls in his favor, especially in his later championships. Utah was a call or two away from winning at least one of those series. I think Jordan got a way with a few but he still earned most of them.
What!!!!!!!!!!!
Whatever.

Durant might make everyone wrong. I would take the most talented player with the most upside and that is Durant. I think people forget the fact that Ohio State had a very good team last season and a great team without Oden. I dont see him as a dominant big man. I think he can change shots, but that is about it. Portland has Randolph and his contract might be hard to trade.