The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2000, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Our town happens to be blessed with God's gift to the sports page...... This isn't just an issue with basketball, but is a regularity with all major sports aside of Cross Country, Track, Swiming & Tennis.
Our sport's editor love to blame the officials for everything... He gone as far to put official's names in print and justifies it by calling a personal quote. Our association doesn't care for it, yet tends to ignore it. Any Suggestions????
Old Sun Jan 30, 2000, 11:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious on 01-30-2000 10:00 PM
Our town happens to be blessed with God's gift to the sports page...... This isn't just an issue with basketball, but is a regularity with all major sports aside of Cross Country, Track, Swiming & Tennis.
Our sport's editor love to blame the officials for everything... He gone as far to put official's names in print and justifies it by calling a personal quote. Our association doesn't care for it, yet tends to ignore it. Any Suggestions????

YOu'll never win in a fight with a newspaper. If you want to have some fun, however, try this:

Get all the officials to refer to the newspaper as "The Daily Fishwrap" whenever they are in general conversation.

Challenge the editor to a rules quiz contest. Tell him to put his ink where his mouth is. You know he won't accept. When he refuses, call him a "yellow journalist."

Ask the schools to install his newspaper in all the restrooms as toilet paper. Let him know you did this.

Notify the local TV and radio stations that you are going to picket the newspaper office - then do it. Get everyone to wear their uniform. When the electronic media ask you why you are doing this, tell them you object to the paper's policy of teaching young people not to take responsibility for their own actions.

Take out an ad in his own paper ripping his policy. Use his name, but only in "personal quotes." If he refuses to run it - sue.

If none of this works, forget about it.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2000, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Invite him to a clinic or training session, or a meeting where you can talk to him about his lack of understanding of what our role in the game is. Ask him if he has any questions about the game, never let your referees talk to the press at any time unless you have given them permission.

We had a problem with a fellow and that is how we handled it with great results.
Good luck

------------------
Don
Old Mon Jan 31, 2000, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I personally blame the sports editor and the officials for not winning any Cross-Country meets when I was in High School. (TIC) BTW, I was the 7th man on my team so I couldn't even win an inner squad race.:-)

Where is this guy coming from? If he has any guts and he doesn't like the officiating he sees every night, then he needs to come out next fall and take the test and run up and down the courts for a season and see if he can do any better.