The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Question

The other night I had a play that went something like this:
A1 drives to the basket and attempts a try, while in the air A1 sees B1 in position to block the ball. B1 puts their hand on the ball and A1 lets go (it is a try). What is the call if A1 catches the ball in the air after it has been blocked then returns to the floor? Or if A1 catches the ball after they have returned to the floor? I remember a case book play, but can't seem to locate it at this moment.

BTW, I was lead and I was certain A1 let go of the ball. My partner in trail saw it otherwise and called a held ball and we went to the possesion arrow.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like your partner made the best call. If B1 touched it before A1 released it on a try, rule that he prevented A1 from realeasing it therefore: held ball. Then you avoid all the other questions, though I think you've got nothing if A1 gets the ball after a shot rejection and does whatever with it.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

The held ball may have been the best call, however A1 let go of the ball - B1 didn't prevent A1 from releasing the shot. It's one of those situations where having a game tape would have clarified the play for me.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

#1- If B1 prevetns A1 from releasing the ball, it's a held ball.
#2- If A1 releases the ball and it's blocked, then he can legally catch the ball while airborne or after returning to the floor.
#3- If A1 releases simply because he thinks it will be blocked and catches the ball while airborne or after returning to the floor, it's traveling.

It sounds to me like you had #3. Traveling.

4.43.3 SITUATION A:
A1 jumps to try for goal. B1 also jumps and: (a) slaps the ball out of A1's hands; or (b) touches the ball but does not prevent A1 from releasing the ball; or (c) touches the ball and A1 returns to the floor holding the ball; or (d) touches the ball and A1 drops it to the floor and touches it first after it bounces.
Ruling: In (a) and (b), the ball remains live. In (c), a traveling violation. In (d), a violation for starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor. Since the touching did not prevent the pass or try in (b), (c) and (d), the ball remains live and subsequent action is covered by rules which apply to the situation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith