The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 9.1.5 states that an opponent shall not disconcert the free thrower. Does this apply to the cheerleaders and/or mascot? I called a JV game recently where the cheerleaders had a routine when the opponent was shooting at the end they were cheering on. They weren't going wild, just clapping and stomping. Is that legal?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

No, they can't disconcert. As long as they remain seated where they normally are, they're fine. I did once have a situation where they wanted to stand along the endline during an opponent's FT but we quickly put a stop to that.

One thing we have been told to guard against is the use of mechanical devices. For example cheerleaders are allowed to use megaphones to cheer but are not permitted to bang them against the floor or the bleachers to make noise.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think they can even use megaphones in the conventional way in that situation. That new rule for 2001-2002(1-18) states that the playing of music/sound effects shall only be permitted during pre-game, time-outs, intermission and post game. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be prohibited. I think a megaphone would be considered an artificial noisemaker.

Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Artificial Noisemaker?

A megaphone can't make noise--it can only enhance noise from a real live noisemaker. I suppose you could check her to see if she was real or artificial--but in HS, I think most are real!!!
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Artificial Noisemaker?

Quote:
Originally posted by BK
A megaphone can't make noise--it can only enhance noise from a real live noisemaker. I suppose you could check her to see if she was real or artificial--but in HS, I think most are real!!!
I was at the mall today and saw a woman's short t-shirt
that said "Silicon free". Cute. Anyway, it seems to
me that a megaphone banging against wooden stands gets
pretty close to an artificial noise maker. Pretty close.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BK
True that the person is making the noise, but the megaphone is enhancing or amplifying the noise, artificially. This would hold true for a PA system. I wouldn't allow it.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Most of our cheerleaders stand on the end line. I dont think I can recall ever dealing with cheerleaders who disconcert. They know they have to stand to the sides of the paint. They know if they get unsporting we can move them to the 65th row
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Artificial Noisemaker?

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
Quote:
Originally posted by BK
True that the person is making the noise, but the megaphone is enhancing or amplifying the noise, artificially. This would hold true for a PA system. I wouldn't allow it.
The NFHS issued an interpretation / clarification that the use (normal use) of megaphones by cheerleaders is allowed.

Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Artificial Noisemaker?

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
The NFHS issued an interpretation / clarification that the use (normal use) of megaphones by cheerleaders is allowed.

daves,

Bob is correct. It is legal to use them for their prescribed purpose. But, as I said, once they start banging them on the floor or the bleachers, they have to go.

Tony

Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 12:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

As to whether they can disconcert, or should be treated like a fan - think of it this way. Since they are official representatives of the team and are allowed special priviliges not allowed to fans, they must be treated differently than fans. If they want to be treated like a fan on this or any other subject, then they must subject themselves to the same restrictions as the fans, i.e.: can't come on the floor, can't pace the sidelines, etc.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Artificial Noisemaker?

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

daves,

Bob is correct. It is legal to use them for their prescribed purpose. But, as I said, once they start banging them on the floor or the bleachers, they have to go.

Tony
Can you give me the case book reference or the interpretation of that? I haven't seen it.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Artificial Noisemaker?

Quote:
Can you give me the case book reference or the interpretation of that? I haven't seen it.
The rule is 1-18.

The playing of music/sound effects shall only be permitted during pre-game, time-outs, intermission and post-game. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be prohibited.

From the NFHS website
The prohibition against artificial noisemakers, including but not limited to, megaphones, cowbells, sirens, 'clackers', cans with marbles or rocks inside, and varied other creative, albeit cacophonic, devices provides additional rules support for an increasingly serious problem.

From the NFHS Interpretations web page
SITUATION #6: The school sponsored cheerleaders wish to use megaphones as part of their cheerleading routines from the sidelines.
RULING: The new rule prohibiting artificial noisemakers would not apply to the cheerleaders in this situation. The megaphones would only be legal for the cheerleaderÂ’s use, provided they were being used appropriately. (1-18)

I hope that clears it up.

Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
The rule is 1-18.

The playing of music/sound effects shall only be permitted during pre-game, time-outs, intermission and post-game. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be prohibited.

From the NFHS website
The prohibition against artificial noisemakers, including but not limited to, megaphones, cowbells, sirens, 'clackers', cans with marbles or rocks inside, and varied other creative, albeit cacophonic, devices provides additional rules support for an increasingly serious problem.

From the NFHS Interpretations web page
SITUATION #6: The school sponsored cheerleaders wish to use megaphones as part of their cheerleading routines from the sidelines.
RULING: The new rule prohibiting artificial noisemakers would not apply to the cheerleaders in this situation. The megaphones would only be legal for the cheerleaderÂ’s use, provided they were being used appropriately. (1-18)

I hope that clears it up.
Thanks for the interpretation. I read this as meaning the cheerleaders can use megaphones as part of their normal cheerleading routines from the sidelines during a time out or similar situation. I would not interpret as meaning the cheerleaders can use them to disconcert during a free throw situation as im my opinion it would not be using them appropriately. Just my opinion.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Cheerleaders can't disconcert by using a megaphone to cheer during a FT. Please don't call that.

Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Speaking of cheerleaders. They are the most annoying things alive, always in the way. Last night in a fairly tight gym, about four feet from end line to padded wall on one end, they would not get out of the way even on throw-ins. I was nice for a quarter or so, then went during time-out and told them to either stay out of the way or cheer from the hallway. Still ended up having trouble with them, so I started stepping back on their toes and standing on them for a few seconds.