The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2000, 02:55am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

This morning I worked some high school rec league games. Prior to the second one, my partner (Joe) tells me to watch out for one of the coaches because he is a real loudmouth. You know the type - he thinks it's a three man crew with him as the third man. Joe says he even tossed this guy once last year and he's just not going to take any crap from him.

OK - game starts. Just as Joe warned, this guy is calling the game from the get-go. "Travel, 3 seconds, that's a carry." He must have said them all. Finally, he yells my personal favorite, "Over the back" followed by my second favorite, "That's a reach."

On the next trip down the court, there's a violation and a dead ball. Joe goes over to right in front of this guy's bench and yells at him, "Your man didn't roll on that pick and roll. WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU?" The guy just stares. We come back his way again and call 3 seconds on his team. Again, Joe turns and yells at the guy, "Don't you teach your players to shoot when they're in the lane to avoid that call? WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU?"

The coach asks just what the heck is going on. Joe replies, "If you're going tell us how to referee the game, then it's only fair that we get to tell you how to coach."

The coach looked like a deer caught in headlights. Joe continued, "If you don't want us to do that, then sit down and keep your yap shut (yes, he really did say "yap"). The guy just kept staring, but sat down slowly.

Happy ending - he didn't say even one word to us the rest of the game. BTW - his team won by a big margin - must have been our coaching.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2000, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

I only wish I had the guts to do what you did!!! I think that is just great!!! Keep up the good work.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett on 01-30-2000 01:55 AM
This morning I worked some high school rec league games. Prior to the second one, my partner (Joe) tells me to watch out for one of the coaches because he is a real loudmouth. You know the type - he thinks it's a three man crew with him as the third man. Joe says he even tossed this guy once last year and he's just not going to take any crap from him.

OK - game starts. Just as Joe warned, this guy is calling the game from the get-go. "Travel, 3 seconds, that's a carry." He must have said them all. Finally, he yells my personal favorite, "Over the back" followed by my second favorite, "That's a reach."

On the next trip down the court, there's a violation and a dead ball. Joe goes over to right in front of this guy's bench and yells at him, "Your man didn't roll on that pick and roll. WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU?" The guy just stares. We come back his way again and call 3 seconds on his team. Again, Joe turns and yells at the guy, "Don't you teach your players to shoot when they're in the lane to avoid that call? WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU?"

The coach asks just what the heck is going on. Joe replies, "If you're going tell us how to referee the game, then it's only fair that we get to tell you how to coach."

The coach looked like a deer caught in headlights. Joe continued, "If you don't want us to do that, then sit down and keep your yap shut (yes, he really did say "yap"). The guy just kept staring, but sat down slowly.

Happy ending - he didn't say even one word to us the rest of the game. BTW - his team won by a big margin - must have been our coaching.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2000, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I love it!! I wouldn't recommend it every time we have such a coach, but in the right situation with the right official doing it . . . that's great! That's not my particular style, but some guys can just pull it off. Sounds like your partner in this game really pulled it off.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2000, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Cool

I had a guy in city league (mens rec) who would argue every call even when you had him shooting from the line. One night i had it up to here and every time he made a error i would run by and say "bad pass or gee you blew that shot" after a while he stopped and shouted at me will you stop talking to me like that, and i said to him now you know how i feel. He has never badgered any of us refs again and is very supportive of us on the court and friends off the court.

------------------
Don