The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 06:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

It's an old saying that no one ever goes to a game to see the refs. However, last night, I did just that. As I have posted previously, my son Josh got certified this year (age 21) after 8 years of reffing rec ball. He's been doing some freshman games for about 2 weeks and last night was the first time I was able to go see him work.

He had a very experienced partner who was assigned to this game to eval Josh. Of course, I was doing the same thing mentally in the stands - couldn't help it.

My favorite play came in the 2nd quarter. A1 had the ball stripped by B1 and, of course, thought he got fouled. He then ran up to B1 and pushed him really hard in the back, knocking him about 10 feet. Certainly, there was no regard for the safety of B1 as he just missed crashing into the bleachers. Josh called the flagrant foul. There was no complaint from coach A.

As I was leaving, his partner (who I know) told me what a good job Josh had done and that he had only minor comments - didn't get his arm up early enough to chop clock on a free throw once, etc. I asked them why they let the visitors wear white T-shirts under their light blue jerseys. He gave me two reasons: 1) it wasn't a problem since the home team's jerseys were actually gold, not white, and 2) it was a freshman game. I told him I would have said to the coach that the only reason they were allowed was because the home team wasn't wearing white and if they had been, the T-shirts must go. He agreed that would have been a good way to handle it. Actually, if I was doing the game, no white T-shirts.

When I first got to the gym and saw my son out there watching one of the teams warmup, I called my wife on my cell phone and told her how "cute" our son looked. It was the first time I had ever seen him wearing a jersey with the state patch on it.

Frankly, I thought he did a pretty good job, although I told him he needs to work on his off-ball coverage, and I hope that someday in my old age (sooner than you might think), I can spend my golden years watching him throw out NBA players - and, of course, coaches.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I asked them why they let the visitors wear white T-shirts under their light blue jerseys.
Hmmm, I thought the undershirt could be either color on the jersey. In other words, if the jersey was gold with purple lettering, the undershirt could be either gold or purple.

But 3-4-6 just says that "undershirts shall be similar in color to the torso of the shirt and shall not have frayed or ragged edges."

So if the home team has white jerseys with red lettering, they can only use white undershirts? Is this a proper reading? No red undershirts under a home white jersey?

chuck
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

The t-shirt must be the predominant color of the jersey. White shirts with red lettering would require a white t-shirt.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,

How did your son do with filling out the ejection form for the flagrant foul? Dang, I hate those things.