The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
well, I do own a micrometer. However, there ain't nowayinhell a micrometer of mine is ever gonna touch that. Eeeewwwww.
Aw, is that a micrometer in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

(And I start all my sentences with a capital letter...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Btw, I kept the gauge and needle in my jacket pocket in a little leather drawstring pouch. Saves running around if the game ball seems funny or someone asks you to check it.
The reason I stopped taking my gauge with me was what Camron mentioned - as long as I feel the ball bounces within what I feel is the proper amount, I'm not worried if it has 5.7 lbs. or 7.1 lbs. of pressure in it. I've had balls that were within the stated range stamped on the ball, but still didn't bounce right, for whatever reason.

But, I am jealous of the leather pouch. I still keep my gauge in the little bubble-wrap bag it came in.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for all of your posts.

It seems that this issue goes on a ref by ref basis. I would think that this is something most referees would not worry about, but I have heard stories (in Volleyball in particular, also loose "3/4 Width Rule") where teams have been required to forfeit due to number width.

Most manufacturers (including Nike and Reebok) offer 4" and 6" front numbers for basketball. Almost all of the 4" variety are illegal by the "at least 3/4 wide" rule.

I am worried I will run into a letter of the law ref and the other team will be shooting techs.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanis42
Thank you for all of your posts.

It seems that this issue goes on a ref by ref basis. I would think that this is something most referees would not worry about, but I have heard stories (in Volleyball in particular, also loose "3/4 Width Rule") where teams have been required to forfeit due to number width.

Most manufacturers (including Nike and Reebok) offer 4" and 6" front numbers for basketball. Almost all of the 4" variety are illegal by the "at least 3/4 wide" rule.

I am worried I will run into a letter of the law ref and the other team will be shooting techs.
I know, from my standpoint, (and as JRut mentioned before), this is not something high on my priority list. But that might not prevent a well-meaning younger official from seeing this as an opportunity to enforce every possible rule.

Is there a way you can get a verification from the manufacturer or printer that the shirts and numbers are considered legal under HFHS rules? I would think most would take that into consideration before offering that product.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I know, from my standpoint, (and as JRut mentioned before), this is not something high on my priority list. But that might not prevent a well-meaning younger official from seeing this as an opportunity to enforce every possible rule.
Yeah, can't trust those younger officials. They should have age limits.

btw, I don't know what level or in what leagues you coach (not you, the OP) but one way of ensuring you don't get run over by some overly officious official is to take your concern to whoever assigns officials to your games. Also, most officials associations have an interpreter, discuss with him or bring it up at your yearly interpreter's meeting if you attend such a thing.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

I am with JR here... who cares... the rule is ther so you can see the numbers

that being said. I used to do uniform numbering... Any of the standard 4" numbers that are heat applied or embroidered meet the legal size.

I would bet that most numbers on the front of jersys are 6" or more. I dont think I have seen 4" numbers for a long time...
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

I once lived in a remote area of Alaska where we would travel by plane to some of the villages to officiate the year end tournaments. One of our officials travelled with a tape measure and would always measure the height of the baskets as well as the distance to the free throw lines.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 04:13pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
One of our officials travelled with a tape measure and would always measure the height of the baskets as well as the distance to the free throw lines.
Why? What are you going to do about it if it's a little off? You're still going to play the game, right? At most, you're going to write a report to the state association. Or am I missing something?