The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2000, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I love this sight and all of you guys are awesome and very polite in your opinions. I am going to keep coming back to ask questions and maybe give some advice. Anyway in baseball games all umpires have differt ways of calling balls and strikes. Obviously each umpire brings a certain amount of his personality to the game. As basketball officials what do you guys bring to the floor to show your personality?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2000, 03:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Right from the time I walk on the floor, I try to convey an aura of authority and professionalism without crossing the line into arrogance.

This includes wearing my association jacket right up until game time, introducing myself and my partner to the coaches, shaking hands but not getting conversational, not joking during the captains meeting and going over timing and scoring protocol with the timer and scorer in an authoritative manner.

Once the game starts, I make sure I hustle and, if there is an unusual or weird call, I take time to explain it to the coaches in a calm, reasonable manner.

All of that, plus my orange and purple striped hair and nose rings, usually do the trick. (P.S. - I usually work barefoot, too)
Old Sun Jan 30, 2000, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

I think a ref's personality shows itself. If you TRY to show your personality, it will likely come off in a less-than-positive way and be received accordingly by coaches and players. Just be professional, but personable, and the subtleties of your personality will come out on their own. Some refs simply "have" a personality that is more visible than others and can pull it off, so to speak, simply because it's part of who they are. I've seen and worked with officials who seem to try to actively be humourous or "buddy-buddy" with coaches and players, and they just come across as phony and ineffective--and often, they've simply not been very good officials. We are who we are. If we just call the game and conduct ourselves professionally, our style on the court will incorporate the best parts of our personality naturally.