The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T-Magnet (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3418-t-magnet.html)

ChuckElias Wed Dec 12, 2001 11:50am

I don't know what's going on in my karma, but I'm throwing around T's like there's no tomorrow. Had my first HS game last night and T'd the Home head coach for saying that my partner's call was "bull***t".

I've had T's in preseason tournaments (for protesting a call), in men's league (for hanging on the rim), in a HS <i>scrimmage</i>, for cryin' out loud. ("Handchecking?!?! What the F*** is that?)

Mind you, my season officially kicked off just last night!!! I don't think any of these T's was the result of my thin-skin or over-officiousness. All were well earned. I just can't figure out why there all coming to <i>me</i>.

Chuck

BktBallRef Wed Dec 12, 2001 11:52am

You are evil and must be destroyed! :)

I think it's something in the air or the water. I had 2 on players and 2 on 2 very nice lady coaches during the first two weeks. But things have calmed down the last 3 times out.

Mark Dexter Wed Dec 12, 2001 11:53am

Chuck, you got nuttin'. I'm up to 9 technical fouls already on the season. Of course, it is intramural rec ball . . .

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 12, 2001 12:39pm

Here in Portland we have seen a huge increase in T's since the Blazers started featuring Rasheed Wallace on their commercials. ;)

devdog69 Wed Dec 12, 2001 01:04pm

Seriously?

devdog69 Wed Dec 12, 2001 01:05pm

Never mind, now I see the "winker". Duh.

williebfree Wed Dec 12, 2001 02:12pm

Tea time???

Mark:

You are giving out "Ts" like Mel Tillis at a "Tea convention." :D

Mark Dexter Wed Dec 12, 2001 03:17pm

Re: Tea time???

Quote:

Originally posted by williebfree
Mark:

I think they're going to create an award and name it after me. (Who is the person who had that really happen?)

daves Wed Dec 12, 2001 03:40pm

A few seasons ago I was a 'T' happy official. In fact that year I won the television set that our association gives to the official who calls the most. Maybe it was because I was thin skinned or perhaps because of problems at home or work. Since then I have had very few t's. None this season as a matter of fact. I'm not ignoring stuff and I call a pretty tight ball game. The bottom line for me, I guess, is that I have learned to keep my head in the game and leave the other stuff behind. It's a lot more fun for me now that I've lengthened my fuse. Have a great day.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 12, 2001 03:55pm

Re: Re: Tea time???

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Originally posted by williebfree
Mark:

I think they're going to create an award and name it after me. (Who is the person who had that really happen?)

It was me. The association I belonged to at the time has an annual awards banquet at the end of the season. Awards included "favorite partner", "most professional", "coolest under pressure" and the "Mr. T" award. The policy was to name the award after the first person to win it three years in a row. My first three years in the assn., I won the Mr. T award. Actually, it wasn't necessarily because I led the assn. in T's (although I did give out my share), it was mostly because I thought it would be cool to have that with my name on it and I lobbied hard to win the vote. No one else really wanted it, so I won easy.

So far this fall and winter season, I have only done about 20 games and the only T I have given out was for reaching over the boundary and hitting the ball on a throw in.

However, I have two games tonight and I am quite hopeful ;)

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 12, 2001 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
I don't know what's going on in my karma, but I'm throwing around T's like there's no tomorrow. Had my first HS game last night and T'd the Home head coach for saying that my partner's call was "bull***t".

I've had T's in preseason tournaments (for protesting a call), in men's league (for hanging on the rim), in a HS <i>scrimmage</i>, for cryin' out loud. ("Handchecking?!?! What the F*** is that?)

Mind you, my season officially kicked off just last night!!! I don't think any of these T's was the result of my thin-skin or over-officiousness. All were well earned. I just can't figure out why there all coming to <i>me</i>.

Chuck

Don't you find that most years you have to get 'em used to what behavior is expected of them,again?I've noticed,both in b-ball and football,that the behavior is usually different in the first few games than later on.They usually improve.I think it may be the adjustment from off-season rec and street ball back to normal games for players.Once the coaches start figuring out the T's are gonna hurt him,both the and the kids' conduct usually get better.Of course,some coaches and players never change.JMO.

Mike Burns Wed Dec 12, 2001 04:00pm

After going all season last year without giving a "T" directly to a coach, I had to give one the other night. It was 1:30 to go in the 4th-Q in a 2-4 point game. During a time out he came out to mid court and went from arguing a call to questioning our bias.
The assistant coach said,"You can't give him a "T" this late in the game!"
I said, "Tell him (head coach) to be more aware of the time then."
Your post makes me wonder what the rest of the season has in store.

Mike

Dan_ref Wed Dec 12, 2001 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias

I've had T's ...in a HS <i>scrimmage</i>, for cryin' out loud. ("Handchecking?!?! What the F*** is that?)

Eesh I hate that. During scrimmages I prefer to just
take the offender by the arm, walk him over to his bench
and tell his coach to give me another player. That just
shuts everyone up. The offender is left wondering what
just happened, he's usually yelled at by his team mates
("shut up assh*le, it's just a scrimmage!") and we don't
waste time shooting FT's. I've never had a problem doing
this in scrimmages

Quote:

Chuck
Your just a hard@ss, like our friend Tony! :p

Mark Dexter Wed Dec 12, 2001 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by daves
In fact that year I won the television set that our association gives to the official who calls the most.
That sounds like an easy TV to win.

Double technical - blue and white coach.

WHAT THE _#@#(@(#) FOR?

Well, the first was for having your large toe 1/2 centimeter over the coaches' boxes. This one now is for the profanity.

See - four T's in no time.

Hawks Coach Wed Dec 12, 2001 04:57pm

Some teams are just begging for Ts, so feel free to oblige them. In our AAU girls Thanksgiving Tournament, we had a team with two player Ts in the first half of their first game there, and one should have been an ejection in my book (the ref said later to me that he didn't do it because he knows parents don't drive all that way to see their kid ejected!). And the team with the Ts won by like 20! In their last of 3 games, the official's assignor was summoned to the gym because of fan issues, we ejected a fan and had several others under tight watch, and had the ref had things better under control, probably would have had more Ts. Girls were 6th graders. hard to figure these things out. I was just glad they didn't make the finals, because I handed out the champion and runner-up trophies and would have hated to give these bozos any hardware.