The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 03:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cool

I got the chance to use the Precision Timing System. You know, the thing that the NBA uses and many NCAA conferences use with the clock. Where the whistle has a little mic on the end and a pager like box attached to your belt to start the clock.

It was great. It was fun and I cannot wait until schools start to use this on a more regular basis.

TH, you were correct, it is a great system.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I got the chance to use the Precision Timing System. You know, the thing that the NBA uses and many NCAA conferences use with the clock. Where the whistle has a little mic on the end and a pager like box attached to your belt to start the clock.

It was great. It was fun and I cannot wait until schools start to use this on a more regular basis.

TH, you were correct, it is a great system.
Do you find that it makes you more aware of the clock? I certainly do.

We used it last Friday night and we get to play with it again tonight!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 04:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Mechanics question.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Do you find that it makes you more aware of the clock? I certainly do.

We used it last Friday night and we get to play with it again tonight!
It sure did.

I have a mechanics question thought. Who did you have start the clock? Did you always have the official who had the ball, or did you have another official be responsible for that? And what do you do on FTs?

It was basically all of our first time using it, so we really were not clear what was proper. In our case, we had the C always start the clock, and the T on FTs. And we had the official who had the ball, act chop in the clock just like normal. But I am not sure that this is the right way to do it.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
The mechanic is for the official who would normally chop the clock. Although it really doesn't matter because the system will recognize any of the officials box. Where did you get to use this at? I have been looking to order this for quite some time. The only scorboard manufacturing company that makes them is datatronics, that I know of. Were you officiating college or HS?
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

From what I've read, you follow basically the same mechanics as without the PT. I think you either count with one hand and push with the other or do the count&chop with one and push with the other.

What should be happening to start the clock is that all officials should be ready to start when the ball is tapped in their area. The timer is also starting the clock with the buttons at courtside.

Personally, I'm against the system . It puts people like me out of a job
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

We do not have the official administering the throw-in start the clock. He uses his normal mechanics. Arm in the air, with the other arm counting. it's not difficult at all to have either or both of the other two officials hit the start button. But it should definitely be an off official. On FTs, there's no problem with any of the 3 officials starting it. The important thing is that it gets started.

Spaman, I do not believe DakTronics seels the system. The only place you can buy it is from Precision Time. I have linked their site below. Mike Constable, a former NBA official, developed the system.

http://www.precisiontime.com

Mark, to the contrary. The timer is required to continue to start and stop the clock as normal. Sometimes, it just doesn't work. About once per game, the clock will not stop on the whistle. There's usually a time or two that it won't start properly as well. It's up to the timer to make sure he follows normal procedure, so that no time is lost or gained.

We have 3 high schools locally that use it. I think it's use will continue to grow.

Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

I was just kidding in my opposition to PT (hence the smiley face). I'm definately aware that you will always need a timer at the sideline - just this way, the coaches can't blame me when their player doesn't make a last-second tap before the horn

From my understanding, PT makes its units separately from the scoreboard/clock. They just make an interface that replaces the start and stop buttons.

I know the system is keyed into the specific tones of the Fox 40 so people in the stands can't whistle to stop the clock. I wonder if anyone has tried to bring a Fox 40 with them to do something like this.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

It is a separate unit that plugs into a serial port on the back of the scoreboard control unit.

I don't think a Fox40 in the stands would work. There's a small mic that's just an inch or two away from the Fox 40. I don't believe the mic is sensitive enough to pick up a Fox40 that far away.

Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

the nba uses the same system as if they did not have the PT. whover throws the ball in presses the button. except they use a one handed count and chop.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
the nba uses the same system as if they did not have the PT. whover throws the ball in presses the button. except they use a one handed count and chop.
That's true. You'll see it in any NBA game you watch.

Let's just make sure that we don't bring that mechanic to the high school game.

I'm not sure what they do in college.

Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 06:37pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

the nba uses the same system as if they did not have the PT. whover throws the ball in presses the button.

Actually, they all press the button... That way if one of them forgets to, they are covered (in addition to the timer pressing it).