The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Here's on that actually happened the other night. H.S. boys Varsity game.

Home Team A is dominating visiting Team B by the 3rd quarter. Team A sets up and "alley oop" dunk play with player A1 missing the dunk and hanging on the rim, momentarily, to possibly prevent injury. No problem.

Team B gets the rebound and proceeds to their front court. All the players from Team A and Team B have crossed the division line into Team B's frontcourt. Suddenly a player from Team A's bench rushes onto the court, grabs Team A's rim and rushes back to the bench. The lead official at the other end of the court sees this and blows his whistle, assessing bench player A6 with a Technical Foul.

While the lead official is reporting the foul the trail official is hearing the very upset Team A Coach's side of the story. Upon learning the Team A Coach told bench player A6 to go onto the court and "reset" the springloaded rim-it was ajar from A1's missed dunk-the 20 yr. veteran official, and very respected in the association, overruled the other 10 yr. veteran official, saying there would be no "T" as player A6's intent was not to participate in the contest but just to fix the ajar rim.

Later in the locker room the 20 yr. veteran trail official likened it to if a player went out on the court to clear some Pom Pom debris would we "T" him? He stated it would be very "CS" to give Team A a "T" in this situation. The lead official that gave the "T" succumbed, saying that he saw the look in the other official's eyes and he looked very adamant about disregarding the "T". So he let the trail prevail. Besides, the lead said he didn't know the rim was ajar. For all he knew player A6 was running out on the court for a dare. (The lead official did tell Team A Coach in the future to get the official's attention about any problems on the court and they would handle it accordingly.)

Well, back to the game. Now Team B Coach is very upset at the trail official for reversing the call. Team B Coach is yelling "you can not have 6 players on the court at a time" and stated he would protest the game. The game went on -Team B lost by 30 pts. and nothing else has happened.

What are your thoughts?
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I think I'd T anyway. The extra player could have been intimidating or distracting to team B. Especially with a big lead, this will help team A's coach remember the official's admonition to get the official's attention first.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

I agree. The players and coach need to know--and should already know--that you don't come out onto the court to remedy a situation like that. Stepping a few feet onto the court to clear some debris or wipe up some spilled water is one thing, but going well into the court and doing something as major as "fixing" the rim is quite another. Who knows the complications that might occur just from that act--injury to the "fixing" player, making the rim worse, a sudden steal and fast break interfered with, and many other unlikely but possible scenarios. With the score a blow out, just calmly listening to the coach's point of view, explaining you understand but really can't overlook that infraction, and suggesting the correct procedure if something similar happens again in the future, I would like to think the game could continue without further incident or hassle.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2000, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

I'd have to disagree Dave, NO OFFICIAL has the authority to over rule or question decisions made by the other official. I don't care how much experience you have.
With exception to an OOB play, this was a judgement call, period.
Granted that once the situation was explained, they had reason for it, but the coach should have told the table or an official of the situation instead of taking matters into his own hands.
Stick with the 'T', everyone will learn from it, maybe even the so called experienced official.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2000, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I believe both officials did the right thing. Nothing beats experience and the vet official correctly saw what the other official did not see! The more experienced ref did the fair thing for THE GAME. I suppose they should have glanced at the rim after an attempted dunk to make sure it resets(20/20 hindsight) Play on!
Old Sat Jan 29, 2000, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Bad, Baaaad vet. You do not teach or instill confidence in any junior official by intimidating him into changing his call. I believe the T here is warranted, yes at HS varsity level they should know better than to do this. Although the junior partner had ten years experience, and was no spring chicken,this is something he should not do to anyone. We watch junior officials kick a call all the time, we let them field a little heat and learn from it. If this game was a blowout then the penalty would not have hurt this team and all would have learned from it. This ref probably went home hating his partner, and very pi$$ed off.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2000, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

I would go on and "T" the play for unauthorize entrance on the court. Even if the player was trying to fix the rim, if his team had stolen the ball and threw it down to him, they would be a very large disadvantage. If I as the non-call official felt different about the call, I wouldn't over rule my partener, without proper evidence prior. IN the locker room, I would talk with my about the play, and discuss if we could of handle teh situation any differently. I would never over rule my partner's "T", no matter if it was his/her's first game or 1,000 game.