The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Back Court or Not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33485-back-court-not.html)

IREFU2 Sun Apr 08, 2007 07:10am

Back Court or Not?

Had a play happen on yesterday durning a games. A1 was dribbling near the center court line and got trapped by B1 and B2. Then A1 was falling toward the back court and he took the ball and bounced it off of B1 leg and it went into the back court and then A1 retreaved the ball. Is that back court or not? My partner was there and didnt call back court. I was in the "C" and was watching the play.

bob jenkins Sun Apr 08, 2007 07:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
Had a play happen on yesterday durning a games. A1 was dribbling near the center court line and got trapped by B1 and B2. Then A1 was falling toward the back court and he took the ball and bounced it off of B1 leg and it went into the back court and then A1 retreaved the ball. Is that back court or not? My partner was there and didnt call back court. I was in the "C" and was watching the play.

C'mon -- you're good enough to know the answer to that question. Who was the last to touch the ball before it went to the BC?

Adam Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:11am

Smart play by A1.

Mark Dexter Sun Apr 08, 2007 01:09pm

What would you call if this were an OOB situation?

IREFU2 Mon Apr 09, 2007 07:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
C'mon -- you're good enough to know the answer to that question. Who was the last to touch the ball before it went to the BC?

Yeah, but I have never seen that done before. So it was kind of odd. But, no back court was called.

Indianaref Mon Apr 09, 2007 09:33am

Did your partner start/continue the 10 second count?

IREFU2 Mon Apr 09, 2007 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref

I am not sure, I just got a peek of what happened and then I had to keep my eyes on my area.

Raymond Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2

Rob, if you were the trail on the play would YOU have called a b/c violation?

All_Heart Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:40am

Quote:

He wouldn't have continued the 10 second count b/c he is in the front court.

A more complete question: Did your partner start the 10 second count when the ball touched the floor in the backcourt? ;)

IREFU2 Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Rob, if you were the trail on the play would YOU have called a b/c violation?

If I dont know, I dont blow!!!!!! I thought I had seen about everything, but I guess not!

Indianaref Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by All_Heart
A more complete question: Did your partner start the 10 second count when the ball touched the floor in the backcourt? ;)

I thought the 10 second count started when it was touched in his backcourt? Not when it touches the floor.:o

Mark Dexter Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:14am

Quote:

I thought the 10 second count started when it was touched in the backcourt? Not when it touches the floor.:o

Take a look at 10-8, then review when team control begins and ends.

Indianaref Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Take a look at 10-8, then review when team control begins and ends.

Thanks Mark, when it touches the floor, team control had been established.

Camron Rust Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:41am

Quote:

Thanks Mark, when it touches the floor, team control had been established.

The difference is where the ball came from....on a throwin, team control doesn't start until someone is holding/dribbling the ball in bounds, not when it touches the floor. However, in this case, the ball was already inbounds and was in team control. So, team control is never lost and the count begings when the ball (still being in team control) touches the backcourt.

Indianaref Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
The difference is where the ball came from....on a throwin, team control doesn't start until someone is holding/dribbling the ball in bounds, not when it touches the floor. However, in this case, the ball was already inbounds and was in team control. So, team control is never lost and the count begings when the ball (still being in team control) touches the backcourt.

Yep. :o