The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Question

I was told to start officiating with 7th graders, because I would see it all. No kidding...

A1 shoots and makes his 2nd free throw. A2 quickly inbounds with a long pass to A3 running in the other direction. A3 is heading for a layup when he is fouled by B1 before he gets the shot off. Me? I'm feeling good because I beat these guys down the floor and had a good angle to call the foul!

Of course, unlike me, all of you experts are aware that the wrong team inbounded the ball!!

Our solution: we put 5 seconds back on the clock, ignored the foul, and gave team B the inbounds that they should have had. Was this reasonable?

PS. The next time A scored, they started to inbounds again--caught that one!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bard
I was told to start officiating with 7th graders, because I would see it all. No kidding...

A1 shoots and makes his 2nd free throw. A2 quickly inbounds with a long pass to A3 running in the other direction. A3 is heading for a layup when he is fouled by B1 before he gets the shot off. Me? I'm feeling good because I beat these guys down the floor and had a good angle to call the foul!

Of course, unlike me, all of you experts are aware that the wrong team inbounded the ball!!

Our solution: we put 5 seconds back on the clock, ignored the foul, and gave team B the inbounds that they should have had. Was this reasonable?

PS. The next time A scored, they started to inbounds again--caught that one!
NOt only was it reasonable, it was right by rule.

See 10.1.8
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that for a 7th grade game your response was reasonable, but by rule there are only 5 correctable errors and this was not one of them. See Rule 2 Section 10 Art.1.

Rule 10-1-8 applies to unsportsman like fouls. (Bob, did you just hit the wrong keys?) If I thought the inbounding play was intentional, I believe, but can't find the casebook play right now, it could be classified as a T.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

ranjo,
its 7th grade! kids just wanna play and have fun. wierd things like this happen, the kids get excited and dont think. i like what bard did erase everything start over.
good job bard
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo
I agree that for a 7th grade game your response was reasonable, but by rule there are only 5 correctable errors and this was not one of them. See Rule 2 Section 10 Art.1.

Rule 10-1-8 applies to unsportsman like fouls. (Bob, did you just hit the wrong keys?) If I thought the inbounding play was intentional, I believe, but can't find the casebook play right now, it could be classified as a T.
ranjo, I'm afraid that you're wrong. 10.1.8 is a case book play, not a rule. Rules are 10-1-8. Case plays are 10.1.8.

Bob's reference is directly on point. bard handled the situation exactly as he should have. This correctable, because it did not result from an officiating misapplication or a table error. If this sitaution was not correctable, teams would be pulling this stunt all the time and we would be unable to do anything about it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef - In the years I have been doing this I never noticed the difference in the 10-1-8 vs 10.1.8. - I agree you are absolutely correct.

Thats why I love this forum. - You get to make mistakes that don't penalize a team unjustly, or give a coach a chance to jump on your case.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo
BktBallRef - In the years I have been doing this I never noticed the difference in the 10-1-8 vs 10.1.8. - I agree you are absolutely correct.
This standard is printed on the inside front cover of last year's case book. I think it's on this year's as well, but I don't have it handy to check.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

It Happens At Higher Levels, Too!

I've seen this happen at the girls varsity level, too, early in a season. Seventh graders have nothing on them.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Do I now have to go back and edit my responses to make sure any rule references have dashes? Every time you think you know what you are doing . . .