The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Last night in a girls varsity game. the guy that I am working with calls a foul late in the game; goes to report it and then returns to shoot the free throws. Next foul is also called by my partner: he reports it and the table calls him over and they talk.... then he calls me over to the table and they let me know that the 2nd to last foul was the girls 5th... and the last foul was also the girls 5th foul {same team but diff. girls}. I then let the coach know what was going on and that both girls needed to be replaced. No questions asked the coach went on to replace both girls very quickly and we finished the game fine. On my way home I was thinking... What if the coach had asked for 60 seconds to replace the players {30 for each disqualified player}. Does anyone have an answer???? I hope this will never ever happen again.. The scores table did a great job all night exept on this play. We can all learn from eachothers experiences although I do know that this should have never happened. ANY ANSWERS????
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

If you sent 2 players out for having their shirt tails untucked, or you had 2 players injured, would you give him 60 seconds to replace them?

No.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

It is thirty seconds from the time you notify him. Since you told him about both, it is only 30 seconds.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

30 Seconds to replace DQ'd player(s)

I agree... 30 Seconds to replace both.

On a similiar vain....

I had a player twist a knee and collapse on the court last night. (It was my first "serious" player injury since I became an official.) She was in obvious pain and unable to move. The coach was beckoned from the bench. She hustled onto the court and quickly summoned another individual from the bleachers. I assumed it was the parent or a doctor. They assessed the player with the usual questions' "Where does it hurt?", etc..

The Timer sounds the horn, I approach the table and the Timer states... "The 30-seconds have passed, she (the coach) needs to put in a sub." I stated that she was gonna take as much time as necessary to ensure the safety of her player.

I felt the Timer was a bit impatient (and insensitive) about this situation. Am I wrong?

Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Lightbulb Take your time

When a player is injured on the floor, those assisting the player have as much time as necessary to take care of the situation. You would not rush off a neck injury just to continue the game.

Inform the table that they work for you during the game. You will let them know when to start the 30 second process for replacing the injured player.

Of course, you will not direct them to start this count until the player has been tended to and is off the floor.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Re: Take your time

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
When a player is injured on the floor, those assisting the player have as much time as necessary to take care of the situation. You would not rush off a neck injury just to continue the game.

Inform the table that they work for you during the game. You will let them know when to start the 30 second process for replacing the injured player.

Of course, you will not direct them to start this count until the player has been tended to and is off the floor.
Correct. The coach gets 30 seconds after the player leaves the floor and we are otherwise ready to play.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Non-basketball response

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBBYMO
the coach went on to replace both girls very quickly and we finished the game fine. On my way home I was thinking... What if the coach had asked for 60 seconds to replace the players {30 for each disqualified player}. Does anyone have an answer????
This reminds me of a situation I read in a book about Richard Feynman who was a great physicist -- the man who diagnosed the problem with the Challenger which turned out to be a poorly designed rubber O-ring.

Feynman was asked to be on a review committee for some math and science textbooks for grade schools. He quit the committee and ranted and raved against the publishers because they would not remove this problem from the math portion of the books:

"If the temperature at the surface of the planet Mercury is 900 degrees, and the temperature at the surface of Venus is 450 degrees, what is the total temperature?"
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Ah... Feynman....

Feynman on an officiating board! Wow! This is right up my alley. I'm going to see how I can intersperse physics stories in my posts now!
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

30 seconds to replace players.
Clock does not start until you inform timer to start clock.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Hey, Willebfree.
Let me guess. Injuried player was visitor with an "experienced", "best around" home timer.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by donfowler
Hey, Willebfree.
Let me guess. Injuried player was visitor with an "experienced", "best around" home timer.
Hey! I resemble that remark!!
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Non-basketball response

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

...Feynman ... quit the committee and ranted and raved against the publishers because they would not remove this problem from the math portion of the books...
So did the committee chairman get 30 seconds to replace
him?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

DON

You made the call. CORRECT!

Visiting player, Old pro Timer.